Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions for teaching my daughter to play ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Suggestions for teaching my daughter to play ?

I was checking the other local guitarshops yesterday, and one of them has a 3/4 size Samick LP copy (bolt-on neck 1 hum, TOM bridge) for $129.00. They're gonna get it from their store in a nearby city for me to check out. The big prob with the Daisy Rocks is that she won't be able to sit down and play, the damn thing'll just slide off her leg..

Comment

It's always more fun to have someone to play along with. If she isn't too shy, you could do some mini-gigs with her, having family and friends as audience. Grandma's birthday and occations like that are ideal gigs that you could practice in advance for. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

My parents never played any instruments, but they would always encourage me to do things like that - and my grandfather in particular was always delighted to hear me play. I played the violin back then, and as I got better, I started playing in the school ensemble and would occationally do some small local gigs in a duo with my violin teacher. I think playing along with others was the thing that really made me find the joy in producing music through my own hands.

Anyway, I think your daughter may be a bit young to get all bent over playing, but learning the basics at an early age doesn't hurt. I bet she will appreciate it in a few years. For the record, I started with the flute at 8 and the violin at 9 (as part of my schooling). In the beginning this was just another homework (although more fun than maths or history ever were), but I gradually found the joy of playing and would often practice until bedtime.

If I may come with a suggestion, try practicing with her for a short time each day if you have that opportunity. Make it a fun thing, like "let's take a little break from the homework and play some guitar!" =) It needs to be a bit of a game. If she doesn't feel like it every time, don't push her too hard so she'll feel like it's another chore that has to be done. If she has the music in her blood, I'm sure she'll learn to appreciate it.

*looks back at the post*
      Uh wow, what a essay that became. Sorry for typing so much and good luck with the mentoring.
      [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
      [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

'bane

Comment

Rock Chords by Hal Leonard is a good book. When you learn the chords it uses progressions to pratice them. It starts with open chords and then moves to other chords. This is the book I used when I used to teach guitar and it worked very well with all my students.

Comment

Or you could start her on Steve Vai's 10-Hour Workout [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

The thing I've found to be most important is that she has FUN. This applies to adult beginners as well as children. Get her a multi-effects unit. I'm serious. Once she hears all of the cool noises that it can make, it'll be more interesting and fun to her. Pick out a simple song that she likes, figure it out, then teach her the notes. That way, she'll feel that she's actually "playing something," as opposed to learning boring, indepth technical things.

I've always believed that the reason there are guitars hanging all over pawn shops, especially beginner-style guitars, is because a well-meaning parent insisted that their child learn everything the "correct" way. It's easy to become overwhelmed this way and decide that it's simply too much work to learn. Besides, every time she masters one song, it'll make the next one that much easier.

Hope this helps.
            [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
            Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

your daughter is a lucky girl, i wish i had someone to get me into music at that age, then i wouldnt have started gutiar at 13 and i would be even more killer right now.

Comment

This might be sort of an old thread, but a lot of great advice offered here. The most important, IMHO, is that she have fun. Becoming technically correct is secondary. At her age learning chord changes may be difficult to understand and accomplish, but just wrapping her fingers around the neck at different positions on the fretboard and strumming should at least let her make different tones. Theory and technique will come with her desire to learn more.
                Musicians Friend (for one) has a few mini-guitars. In fact, their Fender Squier Mini Strat & Epiphone Les Paul JR (both for $99) even look cool for me. They even have a $34 student acoustic. Her own guitar will give her a sense of ownership and pride.
                Good starting songs may be the ones she sings to in the car on those tapes that drive you crazy, The Disney or Barney tunes, or the 'standards' like Twinkle Twinkle, etc. Kids also have the imagination to make up 'originals'.
                At her age, it's all fun, and a sense of accomplishment will keep her interested. Play along with her, as it's a great way for you to bond, and a way for her to do something that Daddy does. Just don't be a Stage Mother and push her to where it's something she resents having to do. She shouldn't see any frustration that YOU have with her playing.
                Good luck.

Ted -- TC Rocker USA

Comment

<really late post to the thread but here you go anyhow>

Both of my kids (8 and 4) are interested in music. I got one a Squier Strat and a cheap amp - he fires it up to make noise once in a while. I just got it so it is accessible to him. I gave the other one my old Roland 6 pad drum thingamabob and some sticks. Again, this was to have the thing accessible. What they do with this stuff is up to them.

Also, get them to listen to all kinds of music. I've gotten my kids into Steve Vai, Bob Marley, Anthrax, and Motown. And most importantly: they know who Jimi Hendrix is.
                  I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by Kamo:
                    Well when i first started, i got used to handling the guitar first. Like standing and positioning properly, and fretting properly. Then I started getting into all that note connections, and music theory stuff. I couldn't play anything for a few months lol. But after i got used to just moving around, fretting without buzzing, and picking without making chirpy sounds, I went online, got some tablature for my favorite music, and i was on my way!
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Information on teaching a girl to play a guitar, coming straight from the Chickdude himself!

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Chickdude! Bwahahahaha! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

We have Kamo's new nickname! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                        X