Most difficult technique?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Most difficult technique?

string skipping by far... done quickly is a p.i.t.a. listen to paul gilberts solo on extreme volume live.

dave

Comment

Learning when not to play.
      750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
      Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

I was aware that Albeniz penned it, but the performances I've heard by Segovia are the best. I've got the intro part down, but after that I'm screwed. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

anything at paggini style speed. [img]graemlins/help.gif[/img]

Comment

getting the girlfriends bra off with one hand while holding a beer in the other hand [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Suck my Kiss:
              anything at paggini style speed. [img]graemlins/help.gif[/img]
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You mean, Paganini? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

yes, sorry. A recent (don't laugh) discovery for me so i can't spell it

Comment

I CAN'T do Vibrato &gt;.&lt;

Comment

Originally posted by LinaV:
                    I CAN'T do Vibrato &gt;.&lt;
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">"CAN'T" never COULD, young lady! [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img]
                    You CAN do it, but you have to PRACTICE
                    it to get it! It's really just tiny
                    bends, at least rock-style vibrato is.

Now go listen to George Lynch and Uli Roth! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

&gt;^.^&lt;
                    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I've been practicing for 5 or 6 years now lol. Ain't no wiggily sounding notes coming out, no matter how much i wiggle my finger on the string, while fretting it, in any direction lol.

I've tried videos, lessons, workouts, and just plain experimentation. &gt;.&lt; I can't do it. There must be something wrong with my hand or something lol.
                      Ryann can do it [img]graemlins/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Comment

wiggling your finger isn't going to have much effect on electric. There are two popular ways to achieve a nice vibrato (sans bar).

You can treat it like a mini-bend-and-release, reinforcing your 3rd finger with your 2nd & 1st and bending a quarter step or so, releasing and repeating. This is a good way to apply vibrato to a bent note too, something that I've always had trouble with but have worked at lately and can do quite nicely now, thank-you-very-much [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Try practicing it slowly with a metronome. Set it at a comfortable pace and bend/release/bend/release in time with the beat. And then start to subdivide the beat to increase the frequency of the bend-and-release. At first, it willl sound like the intro to "Way Cool Jr" but before you know it, you'll have a tasty, natural vibrato that sounds much nicer than just grabbing the bar. Another reason I like my trem to float, I can pull up and approximate my natural vibrato with the bar. Pushing down on the bar gives you an entirely different vibrato effect.

The other common technique is to grab a note with your first finger and use the side of the finger to "lever" off the edge of the fretboard. This will bend the string downwards, towards the floor. You can get a nice wide vibrato using this as well, plus you can increase the speed and mimic BB King's "hummingbird" vibrato
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

Lynch style legato and the Lynch bottle neck vibrato.
                          I have found it extremely difficult to get the vibrato that he gets when he slides his finger over the frets instead of bending the note. I saw a Richie Kotzen REH video once that almost made me give up playing guitar. That guy is absolutely incredible. Almost everything he demo's on that video is impossible to play. [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

"Well if we took the bones out it wouldn't be crunchy, now, would it?" [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

For the Lynch warble, ya gotta get your whole hand into it.

Using the fretted note as your pivot-point, rotate your hand 45(ish) degrees as you hold the note (always start counter-clockwise, i.e. 'pulling').

Don't 'release' the bend - 'push' it back by reversing the pivot, and continue the push into the next (clockwise) bend. Once begun, the only time your hand should stop is at the top of the 'pull' and the push - be everywhere but directly on the fretted note (ya, I know, ya gotta go past it - just make it quick! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ).

P.S. Don't wiggle the finger - just fret the note and wrist it out.

P.S. This works for the Mattias Jabs warb as well!
                            750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                            Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Originally posted by LinaV:
                              no matter how much i wiggle my finger on the string
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Tried vibrato using your wrist? If I use my fingers for vibrato, it sounds a lot weaker compared to if I use my wrist. I also feel I get a lot more control this way. Vibrato is a fairly small thing, but it can improve your sound a huge amount. Start slowly.

Comment

You can always get your vibrato the Dimebag Darrell style: drink so much Jack Daniels that your hands just shake from the DT's naturally!! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                                I personally pivot from the hips for mine, like a golfer.

[ April 22, 2003, 01:45 AM: Message edited by: Ace ]

Comment

Working...
                                X