X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Philosophical question.. "Tone is in your fingers"

sanctimonious
    Oooo... cool $10 word.... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Considering it's meaning, you'd think it'd used with more frequency 'round these parts. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    =====
    The rig isn't the 'tone' - it's simply the most obvious component. It's also the most easily modified one - heck, changing cables can have dramatic effect over the Tone, but create nothing.

Studio engineers spend enormous amount of time moving mics around guitar amps searching for the perfect combination of the rigs output (output=performance+gear) and the current recording environment. And it's different every time.

Style+Rig+Environment+Listener=TONE
    750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
    Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] VitaminG just shut you down Alexi7 [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
      And I agree with him 100%. Seems you've completely lost the plot. I think you should go and learn the difference between a players tone and a players sound. Obviously a person doesn't sound the same on their acoustic as they do on a heavily distorted guitar. And nobody here is saying they do. What people here are saying is that you would still be able to tell that it's them playing. Their personal tone will shine through as some underlying part of the sound that will be recognisable.

Gareth [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

Whoa.... let me take this one step at a time....

"I have a number of amps and a line six guitar port, plus a rack, and a boat load of pedals. I can only speak for me, but I sound pretty much the same no matter what" Then...

"I see your point, but you WILL sound the same on any rig"

Ok, simple then, if that's so, why doenst kill em all sound like Justice? Im asking this from a completely sonic based view point, so just think about the fatness of the sound, crunch etc, ignore the articulation... (now do you see where im coming from vitamin G?)..just read what i just wrote, and read the two quotes over and over until it clicks.

"I see your point, but you WILL sound the same on any rig"...look at above.

"I agree with you tube , i have had loads of differnet amps , and i must say i sound different on every amp and guitar"...Hallelujah

"Obviously, I'm going to sound different if I'm playing through a Fender Twin versus a Dual Rec., or on a Tele versus a Les Paul (Amen to that). But I think the deal is that my playing will still be recognizable as my own"...once again..NOTICE the last part of that, it says, 'my playing will still be recognizable as my own' , I never said that the playing style wont be recognizable, but you seem to have it in your head that i do...But the whole recognition of style is not the issue here, do you see that?!?!?

"I have on video tape somewhere of Steve Vai hosting Head bangers Ball,he was playing though some ****ty little practice amp, a boss delay pedal and a boss ds 1, and guess what it sound like Vai all the way, no big rack no stacks"...Meh, look at way above.

Over and out.
        Cheers

Comment

The black album and load sound the same to me as well as binge. You are making no sense at this point, But I will try this again for you. Lets take Allan Holdsworth, who has done over 30 albums since the late 70's, who I have seen live countless times, who gets a new rig/rack/guitar about every two years or so, His TONE and sound are the SAME no matter what. Why doesn't justice sound like "insert album here" because of different recording technique, there TONE is still the same, the way it was put to tape and mixed etc was different. Not there tone. Steve sound still has the tone even with a smaller diffent rig. You have been given tons of example of this.Now my question to you is give us anther example, not the same old one you have been giving, and not your simple I right your wrong ,but a real example. I will say this again this is not a flame or a pissing match, but a good debate. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
          www.kiddhavok.com
          www.youtube.com/kiddhavokband

Comment

Ok, simple then, if that's so, why doenst kill em all sound like Justice?
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Production budget.

The sound diff has little to do with amps, and a lot to spending 15 hours in the studio vs. 50 hours.
            750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
            Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Re: Philosophical question.. &quot;Tone is in your fingers&quot;

hehe yeah i know this is a proper debate.

How am i not making any sense?
              I think you're not reading my posts properly.

My argument is based around this comment you made: "I see your point, but you WILL sound the same on any rig"

Ok, call me stupid, but there is no ****ing way, you will sound the same on a Mesa, compared to an ENGL. How can you even begin to think that? NO, you will NOT sound the same on any rig, your style would be the same, but the sound will NOT. Same ol argument? ok, ill record myself playin on my rage, and ill record myself playing on a bandit. I really shouldnt have to do this, common sense should have made you realise this. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
              cheers

Comment

Re: Philosophical question.. &quot;Tone is in your fingers&quot;

Originally posted by nor:
                </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ok, simple then, if that's so, why doenst kill em all sound like Justice?
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Production budget.

The sound diff has little to do with amps, and a lot to spending 15 hours in the studio vs. 50 hours.
                </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">BINGO!! Pay Mr. Nor!! He has hit the jackpot!!!

Alexi, here's an example: pick your dream rig - guitar, amp, processors - and
                then A/B it with a guy who sucks, then a guy who shreds. The guy who sucks is not
                going to get as pleasing a tone out of the super-rig as the guy who can play.
                Now take that guy who shreds and hand him
                a Squier and a 10-watt practice amp. He surely won't sound as good, but he'll manage to get some musical sounds out of the combo, because he has the inherent
                ability in his mind and fingers, and he will still sound like himself. Of course
                the guy who sucked will also sound like
                HIMSELF by sucking on the cheap rig! The
                gear is important, but so is the player's
                touch. I think Nor's on it with his various equations ending with = tone. it's partly in the fingers, but not ONLY
                there. Newc's post was very good too.

I have to go now, to find a tarantula to
                fry on my circuitboard for that "singed hairy leg tone" I crave!
                [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Lerxstcat
                Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Working...
                X