Picks, revisited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Picks, revisited

I recently switched to Dunlop Big Stubby 2mm. The 3mm are a bit too thick, since I'm going from Dunlop Nylon 1.0mm. The center part is recessed for a better grip.
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

well after reading this topic i tried some dunlop jazz III picks i had left...and wow [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] it feels like im so much faster...
      the only problem is; i HATE playing chords with picks like this, i just cant seem to strum out some sepultura speed powerchords...one string stuff and leads are great though...

Comment

ahh that feel has come under a true test for me. The pick that 'feels' best for me is most definitely the green .88m Tortex, its just perfect. HOWEVER!!, i just cant seem to shred with it as 'easily' as with the 2mm stubbies. I like the stubbies, and the way they feel, but nothing beats the .88 and i still dont use them. What do you guys suggest? i thought vai used .88mm thick picks, if he does, how the **** can he sweep/shred so easily? i mean, i practiced heaps with the tortex, and still can shred with it as good as i can with the 2mm stubbies...Yeah, the 3mm ones are too thick
        Cheers

Comment

I use a variety of all different types of picks
          depending on how I feel and whats in my pocket. I always carry at least 1 pick in my pocket.

If any pick slips out of my pocket I RETRIEVE MY PICK. I have yanked out a number of taxi seats to get my pick.

As expressivness varies so do the tools. Like an artist who may paint with a fine paint brush to attain a certain texture.

I thought that guitar playing would get easier over the years and in some way it has.
          Now the variety of picks, slides, pick-ups and the FR locking system, getting used to the FR floating bridge and volume controls right in the strike zone is not an effortless thing.

It can be more complicated...

Comment

You're very right...But i have a ****ed up way of doing things..see, i was the artist, id use my main fat brush, to do all the little fine lines. What im saying is, i dont like to have 'too many of one thing', if that makes sense. So like, i like to have only ONE guitar, once pick, one this, one that etc...i would hate to have a different pick for different moods, or for different playing styles. I just wouldnt be able to deal with that, but you brought up some excellent points man [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
            cheers

Comment

Hummm.... ive been happy with mu Dunlop .71's that ive used for like the last 7 years...
              I guess i needa widen my views [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

alexi7 you might want to try what i use...green tortex sharpies...d.m.
                http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

thanks dm, ill give them a try. Hopefully some shops around here will have them.
                  cheers

Comment

i find i can pick faster with stubbier ones, i cant stand using sharpies

i use 1mm rotosound picks (same as the dunlop tortex' but i bought loads a while ago and havent run out yet)

i am trying to get the same as 1mm blue tortex dunlop/rotosounds but with a bluntened end, ill probably file the end off some and see how they work

i could use them upside down but i like having something big to hold

even better if i could get my hands on some big triangle versions but i havent seen any of them anywhere

David

Comment

iused to us the tortex picks. but everytime we'd play a show, i'd sweat hard and constantly be manuvering my pick back to the prober position. i just could never keep it in my hand. one day i ran out of tortex and had to borrow a fender medium classic celluloid. your standard regualar origial pick. i though "oh no, a smooth and slippery pick, i'll never hold on to this one."

boy was i surprised, once i heated up and began to sweat, the super slick celluloid became sticky and stuck to my fingers just like it should. i was sold and will never go back. no wonder fender never stopped putting them out or switched over to a tortex type deal. celluloid is just the way to go and has been from the beginning.
                      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

i have used big stubby's 3 mm for a long time.overall a very good pick great for picking and sweeping

i used to use thick brass picks..great tone..cant seem to buy that make now!!!

the only problem with them was pick tapping.lol. used to leave little indentations on the strings between the frets

Comment

I know what u mean, i love the dunlop celluloids, but mine are medium so i leave them for acoustic styles and stuff. plus i hate it when pics wear out really fast when shredding so i recently tried the 1mm ultex, there my fav so far. i also have jazz3s but i cant hold on to them. i think i'm gonna try gator grip soon

Comment

i tried the gator grip. i thought that they slipped out even easier than tortex. i tell ya, nothing sticks like celluliod. you wouldn't think that it does, but it does! and yeah, they do wear out real quick, but picks are cheep. just by them in bulk and throw them out to the audience between songs hehheh.
                            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I was using jazz style picks, but I've switched back to standard shaped picks. I mainly use the dunlop tortex .88mm. Hell even those music store logoed picks work fine. Cheap too.

Comment

I never really understood the purpose of the sharkfins style picks? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                                I'm guessing for some kinda pick scrape trick or something but its just so uncomfortable i find!

I like Tortex greens cause i like their bright sound. I use some nylons every once in a while cause they feel smooth.

Any of you every tried metal picks? closest thing to that ive played was a quarter [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X