Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar

After seeing you guys mentioning this book i thought what the heck, let's give it a try. I've been playing on and off for almost 20 years and i am self tought. Me and my cassette deck has spent many hours over the years analyzing the shredders out there [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I decided to approach this book like a beginner i.e. take it from the top and really work those Basic Motions.
    It's been four days now and my progress is unbelieveable! I consider myself a good shredder with good technique, but this book has lifted me to the next step on the ladder in no time!

My god, i only needed this tiny little push to get me out of the stand still, i've been in for a long time. I can only recommend this book to everyone, maybe to the experienced player in particular.

Thanks Stetina and JCF for bringing this up.
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Ok, so now I actually got that book two days ago...

...and holy ****, I lOVE IT!!!
      I can already notice how my playing improves now that I practice these exercises.
      Especially the stuff about unwanted pick movement when alternate picking.

Thanks for recommending! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
      http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

Fifth_Horseman, if you haven't already you should check out the thread about picks somewhere here on the board (can't remember where, right now). Because when you dig hard into that technique stuff, every little thing counts. On the basis of the picks thread i went and bought some, and found that the Dunlop Stubby really improved my picking. Just an idea if you missed it.
        Henrik
        AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

I have all of Troy's Metal series (Lead Primer, 1 & 2; Rhythym 1 & 2) and I can tell you that they are fantastic.

I recently started playing after picking it up, quitting, picking it up, quitting, etc. and I can tell you that after 3 months I am much better than I was after 2 years the first time around. [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

I highly recommend his books. [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] He has a great website at www.stetina.com

I picked up an extra copy of Speed Mechanics at a used bookstore complete with CD. If one of you guys outside of the US can't get your hands on a copy, send me an email and I'll ship it to you. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I have all of Troy's Metal series (Lead Primer, 1 & 2; Rhythym 1 & 2) and I can tell you that they are fantastic.

I recently started playing after picking it up, quitting, picking it up, quitting, etc. and I can tell you that after 3 months I am much better than I was after 2 years the first time around. [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

I highly recommend his books. [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] He has a great website at www.stetina.com

I picked up an extra copy of Speed Mechanics at a used bookstore complete with CD. If one of you guys outside of the US can't get your hands on a copy, send me an email and I'll ship it to you. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Hey guys,

Big kudos to Fritz Reiser, he sent me the book as a gift and i got it yesterday. Great material!!! Lots of useful techniques and a very professional aproach to the art of shredding... Stetina rulz...

What can I say Fritz. A BIG THANK YOU!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Keeep' on rockin' guys, [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Rodrigo
              Facebook - Youtube

Comment

ordered it today. I'll tell you how awesome I am in a couple weeks. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

i'm am sooo awesome.

I jsut got this thing today. So far the thing that is bugging me is the CD.

It is listed as Red Hot Chili Peppers "Californication" on my windows media player. What the fudge?

Comment

i am going to buy the "Killer Lead Guitar Pack"....heehee thanks alot

Comment

If you really like Troy's books, try to find an old copy of Heavy Metal Rhythm Guitar, Vol 1 and 2. They are completely different from the new ones, and are geared more towards classic metal, not so much alternative stuff. But the new ones are great, too. The lead books seem to be the same, new and old, from what I remember.

Comment

Yep, LesPaulCustom here turned me on to "Speed Mechanics...", which I received about a week ago... I've been pretty busy & have only had 30-40 minutes a day to devote to it - but that alone can be very beneficial. I spent about an hour & a half with it last night, & was zipping around the board pretty well after that... well, as much as I'm capable of zipping around, anyway... highly recommended.

Comment

SM is one of the best if not the best technique instructionals out there. I recommend it to everyone.

Comment

BUY IT... LEARN IT... LOVE IT... LIVE IT! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Well i got Speed Mechanics last week, so far it's I like it, i'm gonna definitly check out his other stuff in the near future. I've already noted quite a few deficies in my technique

I've been playing for maybee 2 or 3 years (not long at all) so I started from the very begingin with the basic stuff, and i'm having one hangup i was hoping i could get some advice on.

No matter what i do, my pinky extends straight out like some frumpy snob drinking a cup of tea. and to a lesser extent my ring finger. My index and middle fingers are ok for the most part, but whenever i move either of them my pinky (and to a lesser extent my ring finger) just jerk out. and when i move my ring finger faggeddabaddit, my pinky just goes completely out on it's own. I never really thought it to be a big deal (and thus never noticed it) until i read this book, and it makes sense on how it hinders my playing if my fingers are always so high off the fretboard. "Distance = time"

He says in the book that if this happens your using to much pressure, i've tried just placing my fingers on the strings (muting them w/ my left hand not even fretting them) and i still do the same thing. Has anyone else had this problem? Did you overcome it? how?

Thanks

Comment

Try the good ol' standby chromatic string ex. across the strings with a metronome, but...get a mirror and see exactly what your left hand is doing.

If you consciously practice keeping your fingers close to the strings, in time it will become automatic.

Also, if you arch your fingers it helps to get the correct thumb placement on the back of the neck. Remember, your thumb will constantly shift position while playing, just let it naturally go where it wants to.

Hope this helps. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X