Let's talk picks...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Let\'s talk picks...

> I've been using HotLicks .005 gauge copper picks for years,and love them. For anyone that hasn't used or even seen them,picture the flexibility of a Fender Thin or a Red Tortex,with the added bonus of being able to grip it a little tighter and increasing the stiffness. They create a nice,round tone,but wear strings out REAL quick,but then again when I play on a regular basis,I change them every 3-5 days. The picks themselves are pretty durable,having used the same one for 5-6 years. They are available from .005-.010 gauge,and come 3 in a package. The ones I use are so thin you can feel the contours of the finger and thumb when gripping. Tommy D.
    "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

Comment

Clayton USA .63MM...Good grip and last longer than plastic.

Comment

STONE: Standard and Jazz profiles
        pros </font><ul type="square">[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No wear</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Smooth, full tone.</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Richer overtones.</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Fast attack - no flex, no pick goes where you tell it to...</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Rips for soloing and riffing.</font>[/list]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">cons</font><ul type="square">[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Extremely fragile! Almost 'glass' like...</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Expensive. ($10+)</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Slippery when wet.</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hard to find.</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Invisible if dropped.</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Too squeaky for clean strumming.</font>[/list]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">JADE
        Like the stone, but less fragile.
        Darker, fatter tone with reduced definition and bigger punch. Kicks for clean, single-line work.

DUNLOP STUBBY 3.0
        Closest to my favored Stone (Jazz) I've been able to find. Similar action, small profile.
        750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
        Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Another Dunlop Jazz III user here. Red or black.

Comment

I use Fender Heavy and a weird shaped yellow coloured pick i bought in thailand wich i use a lot (havnt got a brandname or something written on it [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] )

Comment

I vary between 1.14 and 2.0mm Dunlops (the smooth ones with the beveled edges), depending on the state of my chops. Occasionally, I will move down to Fender Heavy (1.0mm) picks.

I have found that there are trade-offs between heavy and thin picks. Thick picks make it easier to switch strings and do sweeps, but more difficult to pick rapidly on the same string compared to thinner pickups. Thick picks give a fatter tone, but with lots of annoying 'clacking' noise. Thin picks have a crisper, more articulate, sound but not as much body.

Comment

Err, that should read "thinner PICKS" above, not "thinner pickups"...

Comment

DUNLOP tortex
                  yellow , orange or green sharpies, regulars or jazzs

Comment

Hey Sid, I use the Dunlop 2 mm picks too! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Tortex 1.14 mm for acoustic though.

Comment

I use Dunlop Tortex .88's.I have used a ton of different picks through the few years that I have been playing and find that the .88's fit the bill for my picking attack/style.

[ December 05, 2002, 08:50 PM: Message edited by: Axegrinder ]
                      Gear
                      '88 Charvel Model 6
                      '90 Charvel 650 Custom
                      '92 Jackson Dinky Reverse Professional
                      '93 Jackson USA Randy Rhoads PCS #23
                      '07 Jackson DKMG Mutt

Comment

dunlop sharpies in a horrendous green color....point is longer than a normal pick and comes to a sharp point...difficult to find in atl so i usually order them by the gross...d.m.
                        http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

I use metal picks, or sometimes the really hard plastic ones..........

Comment

Working...
                          X