Let's talk picks...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Let\'s talk picks...

Right now I'm switching back and forth between Fender nylon 0.73mm and 0.50mm. I'd like to find something about halfway between these but stiffer. Would tortex be stiffer?

DRH

Comment

I use Dunlop Jazz 3's and stubbies 2mm and 3 mm for my seven string (it's strung with 11's with a 60 for the low b)
      www.kiddhavok.com
      www.youtube.com/kiddhavokband

Comment

Worn-down 1.5mm Dunlop Gators on my electric guitars, and worn-down 0.60mm Tortexes on my acoustic. I'll scan my picks for you guys to see the level of worn-down-ness that I love, and I'll post the picture here tonight. Don't ask any questions until you see them... hehe! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I also use fender picks, and a sharkfin for chords

I find that I can pick more accurately with the fenders

[ December 02, 2002, 02:24 PM: Message edited by: bstsuccubi ]

Comment

^.^ i love Fender Picks. I never used a Dunlop pick. Mostly, cuz they seem to be covered in this powdery stuff when i use them, and it causes the pick to slip out of my hand. *shrugs* i like the Fender medium purple shell ones. They're pretty, and they work good ^.^

Comment

I also use Jazz III picks. I really like the attack and feel. The purple tortex are good also, but I prefer Jazz III(red)

Comment

Always liked Dunlops more than Fenders. Never tried Jazz 3's though. Well time to go to the guitar shop!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Okay I finally scanned in my picks, here it is!

Comment

Sharp Jazz3s, either black nylon or green tortex... gotta check out the purple ones as well. I like the smaller tortex picks, but the nylons sound not as harsh IMO.

Comment

Tortex .73 or .80, sharpened to a point myself. Never had a problem with 'em slippin'. [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest:
                        Okay I finally scanned in my picks, here it is!
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Holy crap!! How often/long do you play? Or do you just keep using the pick forever until it gets like that?
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I used Fender mediums for years and switched to Tortex blues 1.0mm a few months back and my picking has gotten faster and cleaner- I don't think I'll be switching anytime soon-They have a real nice bite to them- FM
                          www.facebook.com/neddistanz

Comment

Standard Fender heavys. I sometimes go back to mediums for short periods but usually end back with the heavys. I think when you chops are in shape the heavys sound a lot better for fast picking...more definition in the pick attack I suppose. I too started using mediums and then thin but when I sped up picking sequences with a metronome I found it easier to execute with a heavy...I used those super duper heavy dunlops that were cool for picking but not for rhythm...Fender heavys are a nice compromise for me...your mileage may vary
                            shawnlutz.com

Comment

Hehehe, toejam, I PURPOSELY make my picks like that!

The thing is that I LIKE my picks like that, and it usually takes a few playing sessions (4hrs on average per session) to get them to be that size and shape. It's awesome - The grip of Tortex and Gator powder with the size of a Stubby.

While most of you guys trim your picks down to a sharp narrow point, I make mine as fat and blunt as I can.

Once they're worn out that much, they usually stay that shape. No amount of hard playing after that will do anything.

I like them small like that. Finer control, especially when doing triplets or alternate palm muting riffs.

Some of the picks that I bought brand new several years ago, I still haven't used yet. I stick to these ones.

I guess I'm pretty unorthodox when it comes to my playing!

Hmm... I just noticed how one of my Gator logos looks smaller than the other one... does anyone see that as well?

[ December 02, 2002, 10:09 PM: Message edited by: Number Of The Priest ]

Comment

I use Dunlop Nylon .38s. I've been trying to build speed in the last few months and my playing seems to have plateaued. I think I'm gonna try thicker picks and see if things change.

Comment

Working...
                                X