Re: Arpeggio sweeps

hmmmm...... I don't remember telling you my top speed, Shawn
        Hail yesterday

Comment

oh no here we go again [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]

Comment

Sorry, it just bugs me when someone goes on and on about how simple stuff is for them to play when for most people it isn't.

I'd hate to see a guitarist on here start to learn sweep technique, read how 'easy' it is, and then get frustrated and give up because they are having trouble with it.

Sweeping is NOT easy. I taught for four years, and never ran across any students who just innately could do it - it's a struggle for most of us because it goes against the alternate picking that is drummed in our heads from the beginning. Plus it's a hard technique to do cleanly - timing is very important between the two hands.

If you're trying these exercises and having trouble, keep at it, and eventually it will come.

Pete

Comment

I agree with Pete. Sweeps aren't easy at all.. well ok 3 string sweeps are simple [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] But after that it just gets insanely harder.. especially 6 string sweeps. I started about half a year ago on the 5th Caprice, the intro part that I tabbed out in the other thread. I still don't have it down perfectly, I always play it clean and slowly, occasionally speeding up just to see if I can do it, I can play it the same speed as the original song, but as a metalhead, thats obivously not fast enough [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] . Like Pete said, its hard to get it fast and clear, after a certain speed all I hear is clickity clack clickity clack [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Thats about the time when people start using distortion [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] It just hides how crap they really are. I'd rather have it down properly and then use distortion. I'm progressing well, but its not easy.. and it does get annoying when people say it is when it obviously isn't.

Comment

Thanks pete! I knew I must have messed something up. 19th is the one I was after.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

good lick dave.. thats the first sweep i learned unfortunately [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] talk about starting off at the wrong level. After the high E I usually just hammer onto the 17th, but your way sounds cooler. The one thing that always get me with that arpeggio, is rolling my finger over the notes on the 12th fret. Took me a while to get it nice and clear. The notes still get blurred sometimes when I try and play it too fast [img]graemlins/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Comment

Speaking of six string sweeps...Here is a pentatonic six string sweep n slide, that sound cool when mastered.

---------------12-15-slide-20--15-pulloff-12
                    -------------12-----------------------------
                    -----------12-------------------------------
                    ---------14---------------------------------
                    -------14-----------------------------------
                    -12-15--------------------------------------

Then back down. I think thats right but I'm at work and don't have my guitar so...Theoretically its right.
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

Two minor corrections on that cool lick:

1) the highest note (20th fret) is a C note... that's not in the pentatonic scale. you'd want either the 19th fret (B) or 22nd fret (D). To keep with the rest of the lick, you'd likely want the 19th fret.

2) It's actually an Em arpeggio, not a pentatonic, but if does fit inside it. All the notes are E-B-G. You'd want to throw in some Ds and As if you really wanted the pentatonic sound.

Cool lick tho!

Pete

Comment

Working...
                      X