• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about modes

ok, so you know the standard metal riff, like this
    A--7-------8--------7-------8------7----5-----
    E----0--0-----0--0-----0-0----0-0----0--------

is that technically E dorian minor? so if i were to solo over that I would start basically play in D natural minor, but using the 2nd note (E) as the root?

well the main featured note is e so yeah its in e....if its a metal riff dorian would be quite unusual and it isn't cos dorian would have 5 7 9 th frets knowing the shape and following it back down the scale e5 7 8, a5 7 9, d 5 7 ) so its not a...it could be e phrygian or locrian..that would be much more akin to metal...you could extended it in phrygian a 7 8 10, d 7 9 10, g 7 9 ...in locrian a 7 8 10, d 7 8 10, g 7 9.... the letters are for the string and the numbers for the fretting just so you follow me...and i've kept it in e for ya..the 5th fret note ( d) would just be following it back down the scale - you would hiot the d if ytou played through either scale starting from the low open e ...having jammed it i found soloing over it in e phrygian easier...
    Last edited by sonicsamurai; 06-25-2006, 04:17 PM.

Comment

ah thanks alot dude, that clears a ton of shit up!

Comment

cool you could solo in dorain theoretically if u think about it only your root note for it would be d so u'd have a 5 7 8, d 5 7 9, g 5 7, with e being the next note of the scale which would start off the phrygian so in theory you could solo over the riff in d dorian but seeing as dorian is a jazzy rocky scale it wouldn't be totally appropriate for the tonality of the riff

Comment

Without having more notes to establish what the third is, your riff would most likely be in E Phrygian. The relative minor to this would be the A natural minor scale (or A Aolian if you want you a modal name). But since no third is established with the riff, it could also E Locrian, whose relative minor would be D natural minor.

The only decision is if you want to play in E Phrygian or E Locrian (the most evil of the modes).
          Last edited by texasfury; 06-26-2006, 01:25 AM.
          Just a guitar player...

Comment

Only notes you have there are D, E and F. Depending on where the sun is, you could play that in two different ways. The one that stands out the most for me is in the key of F Major.

-Nate.

Putting thought into words almost made me blow a think bone.
            Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

If you are going to go the E Phrygian way to this remember that A Harmonic Minor will work here just as an easier way to 'shred". When playing Phrygian in a lot of cases going Up to the 4th and playing harmonic minor will work. So if in E Phrygian A Hm will work.
              If in F# Phryg go B Harmonic minor. In D Phryg go G harmonic Minor and so on. I find it easier to follow modes in this manner (ala Frank Gambale)
              If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

I go with E Phrygian on this one 'cause of the E-string drone. And like kmanick said... Phrygian Dominant (5th mode of harmonic minor) would also sound killer.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

Hello all, new member here.

Often I basically do what Kmanick said, I would probably view that riff as E Phrygian due to the inclusion of the F note, so to play in E phrygian I would really just be playing in A minor (A Aeolian), but of course favoring an E tonality. Of course you could play A Harmonic Minor which is the same as E Phrygian dominant for a more exotic sound.
                  That's really how I approached modes all together, if that is helpful to you. I just visualized playing in a different scale but still concentrated on the tonality of the key I was trying to suggest.
                  For example, if I wanted to play in E Dorian, I'd just think B minor/D Major since it is the same scale.

Of course, ultimately it helps to know the notes that are different in the modes, but as a shortcut to using them this works well.
                  Last edited by metalhead28; 07-18-2006, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X