Practice Routine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Practice Routine

I've been checking out the boards for a while now and finally decided to join and seek advice. I love these boards ... pickers here seem less self-centered.

I've been playing on and off for 8 years, with an off period of 7 years , and finally got back to playing guitar (played mandolin in the meantime). I was able to recuperate my RR3 (sssshwing!) from my dad's house after many years, and I fell in love with it all over again.

I've been developing speed and precision in my picking technique by practicing songs very carefully with a metronome (Stratovarius mainly ... corny lyrics, awesome guitar work... I like shreddy metal ) and some scales ... all alternate picking. I feel I'm in need of a 1.5-2.0 hrs. daily practice routine ... but don't know where to start. Maybe you could give me some advice as to what your routine looks like (scales, modes, exercises, etc.) or any books, dvd's I should get. I'm not interested in learning sweeping just yet; I want to improve my right hand dexterity with strict alternate picking practices.

Hopefully you'll be able to guide me a bit.
    Jackson RR3 (Japan, single EMG81)
    Fender Stratocaster Deluxe Plus (American, Lace Gold Sensors)
    Collings MT Mandolin

Have you checked out Troy Stetina's Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar? Excellent method for developing your technique.
    Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG
      Have you checked out Troy Stetina's Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar? Excellent method for developing your technique.
      +1

Comment

I just do all the modes to the metronome with different speeds for only about half and hour. After I did that every day for a month and I could play way faster. Its really helpful for overall speed and after its done you'll play faster for the rest of the time you play as well.

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG
          I just ordered it ! Thanks
          Collings MT Mandolin

Comment

Is there any good scales and/or modes book you might wanna recommend me?
            Collings MT Mandolin

Comment

Well, don't take this as expert advice but I found my speed and alternate picking improved greatly when I started emphasizing chromatic scales. Also, "you have to go slow to go fast, grasshopper". I deliberately try to do 10 -15 minutes quite slowly. I think I read somewhere (here?) that muscle training happens most efficiently if you actually try to limit your repetitions to this kind of time scale. Do something else, come back to it. Maybe it's BS, what do I know, but it's the approach I've been taking. BTW, I was pretty much in the same spot as you a year ago. I had put down the guitar for years and this kind of practice has helped me alot.

Comment

Chromatic is good advice. Different patterns, fingerings and timings. Will develop your alternate picking also.
                PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Working...
                X