Instructional DVDs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Instructional DVDs?

I am looking for a good instructional DVD or lesson plan to expand my guitar playing. I friend suggested Fank Gambale's - Chop Builder. Anybody have any other suggestions?
    Scott
    Just one more guitar!

I recommend Michael Angelo for fast alternate picking/shredding stuff. Joe Stump and Frank Gambale is good for sweeping/arpeggios.
    Last edited by Nazgul; 06-04-2006, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Marty Friedman's 'Melodic Control', for learning how to phrase solos and learn a more individual style.

Comment

I agrree with the "brat." Unless you are an extremely advanced player I don't know how much good learning speed is going to improve your playing. If you know all the scales and how to put them together and how to arpeggiate all the chords and you want to learn different combinations in which to do this with speed then a Michael Angelo or Rusty Cooley DVD might be useful.

But to learn how to expand your playing - which to me means learning more scales or how to combine more than one scale into a solo or learn phrasing etc... - I thing learning the melodic component in your playing may be what you are looking for.

Let me also suggest a book - The Comlete Guitarist - best book I have ever found on guitar playing.
        PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...33008253691341

Tongue in nose bend
          Buying the right boots to use with pedals
          Buying a 'fast amp'
          Playing fast in slow songs
          Practice Routines

PS thanks to the guy who pointed the link out for me!

Comment

DVD, videos all have a general purpose....to learn something new basically.
            Once you seen several you've seen all need. Start to see the same tip, instruction, trick shown nearly in every video viewed. In other words, nothing new and insightful after you seen several they all teach the same thing just alittle differently.

Once this becomes the case,(you've seen all the videos you can stand)it tells you your playing just needs to be kept current, keep your chops fresh. That doesn't mean, you have to or need to do an extensive warm up. Just pick it up and play whatever, whatever that may be. Whether its scales, songs from whom ever, or writing, nonetheless just play.

I don't play everday.
            I use to when I gigged, but I don't gig anymore and most likely won't again.
            I love to kick it up old school to Judas and Maiden, classic VH and Rush.
            Over time, you'll have yourself a decent song list that you can use to keep things fresh and fun. It'll help train and improve your ear.

Learning solo's to some of your favorite bands will easily take your playing to the next level. Learning to solo is a world of fun and work in itself.

Videos:
            These four is really all you'll ever need.
            1. Melodic Control = Marty Its very informative.
            2. Chop Builder or whatever its called = Gambale
            3&4. Intense Rock 1&2 = Paul Gilbert...an "all in one" video series.
            Its very informative.

Just for kicks...
            Reh video = Geo Lynch
            Speed kills = Michael Angelo
            Athough, I prefer Gambale's sweeping approach/tech than Angelo's.
            Still, its good to expose yourself to others view on arpeggios and sweeping.
            In that sense, Angelo's mentioned video was decent. Other than that, stick with Gambale's teaching. Hes a much more seasoned, smoother arpeggio and sweeper than Angelo.
            Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys.
              My New Years resolution was to be a more rounded guitar player and I don't feel like I have setup a good lesson plan.
              Did I meantion that was last years resolution.
              Thanks again,
              Scott
              Just one more guitar!

Comment

Great instructional CD roms. Go to www.Jfrocks.com

Comment

horses for courses mate,there are shitloads of good dvd's out-from brett garsed to frank gambale,malmsteen/lynch/ect/ect

go with the REAL big names rather than the net cowboys

Comment

PG's Intense Rock are my favourites for sheer simplicity (before speeding up to PG blinding speed) and just how funny he is! A lot of instructional vids turn into an hour of uneducational wanking though, for example i was very disappointed with Zakk Wylde's Pentatonic Madness. Too much unexplained wah wah wankery.

Comment

Paul Gilbert's videos are great. You learn some awesome licks, and he keeps you entertained the whole way through

Petrucci's DVD is good for drills, exercises and shit that keeps your chops up, like practice routines. also some good bonus stuff there too. Its quite long as well. i've owned it for years and still havent gone through all the shit.

I've seen bits of Friedman's video, and its by far one of the best I've seen. He more or less helps you how to take the things that makes YOUR playing unique, and milks it.

Yngwie's videos are garbage. even his "slow" examples are too fast, and he doesnt like to explain anything other than "i dunno, i just do it."

Comment

Petrucci's "Rock Discipline" is a great chops builder as was already mentioned. Probably won't introduce many new ideas, though.

I picked up Marty Friedman's "99 Secret Guitar Phrases" and I had alot of fun picking up some new Friedman style licks. It's a cool video and even though some of the licks do get pretty boring, some of them I would have never stumbled onto myself. I guess that is what makes a video like that worthwhile.

Comment

"This is Spinal Tap"
                          EAOS: 28JUN09

Comment

I personally enjoy Paul Gilberts instructionals. Although, after watching HIM play, I also want to burn my guitar, so....................
                            I'm not Ron!

Comment

Gilberts and Gambales are my favorites.
                              Gambales "Modes Mystery no more" is a great DVEd.
                              Chops builder is ok but the real Good Gambale video is "Monster Licks and Speed picking" . Excellent, excellent video to get your left and right hands working together. Lots of good arppegio shapes to practice too.
                              If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Working...
                              X