Maybe odd question about calluses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe odd question about calluses

The calluses on my playing fingers sometimes get caught on the frets when I slide up or down the neck. I was wondering if anyone did any maintanence on theirs like filing or something?
    I guess I probably just tear them off after showering every now and again but thought mayble somebody had something better?
    Maybe I'm just odd
    -Michael

Maby you can burn them off. I'm not sure how safe that is though.

Comment

Just pick off the dead skin when they rip....hopefully they will build up and get strong so they dont tear off as much, but im where you are right now, my fingers are always thrashed to shit.
      www.soundclick.com/matthewpigott

Comment

Ask yer ole lady for that foot sanding thing that women use to keep their feet smooth. That'll thin 'em and get rid of the nicks without making hamburger out of yer fingertips.
        "tie two birds together and though they have four wings, they cannot fly"

Comment

Originally posted by MadJack
          Ask yer ole lady for that foot sanding thing that women use to keep their feet smooth. That'll thin 'em and get rid of the nicks without making hamburger out of yer fingertips.
          I hadn't thought of one of those....I figured a lot of guys would have the same dead skin pad build-up on their finger tips...I've had it for years. Don't think my girlfriend uses one of those but I might look for one if I think of it and happen to be in a store....Thanks.
          -Michael

Comment

You kids crack me up!
            Believe me, after your voice changes you won't have those problems any more. It's called AGE!
            My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

kids?

at thirty eight, i'm thakful to be called a kid however it would be nice if you turned the condescending knob down just a touch...
              "tie two birds together and though they have four wings, they cannot fly"

Comment

Your best of filing them down with a nail file till the are smooth, then they are less likely to flake or come off leaving exposed fresh skin underneath. Also stops new blisters or calluses forming where other soft skin is rubbing against your calluses!
                If you wake up in the morning, it's because Jack Bauer spared your life.

Comment

Originally posted by vander
                  I hadn't thought of one of those....I figured a lot of guys would have the same dead skin pad build-up on their finger tips...I've had it for years. Don't think my girlfriend uses one of those but I might look for one if I think of it and happen to be in a store....Thanks.
                  You can pick them up at any local or near by woman's place/store.
                  Where they sell shampoo, nail polish, tanning lotion, curling irons and etc.
                  My wife and daughter go to a place here called "Sally's" and buy stuff.
                  I went along for the journey on couple of occassions and noticed what your reffering to. They have "Files" and "emery file boards" of every kind for nails and feet alike. Yep that would be you best bet, and they are cheap too.
                  It would be much easier and perhaps safer to use a file or emery board of some sort, than to bite them off. I've done the biting thing and as pulling it off the reat of the way, it went to far down into the skin and created a painful sore. Imagine that.
                  Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Originally posted by Soap
                    It would be much easier and perhaps safer to use a file or emery board of some sort, than to bite them off. I've done the biting thing and as pulling it off the reat of the way, it went to far down into the skin and created a painful sore. Imagine that.
                    Exactly what I was trying to avoid....don't get me wrong....these are calluses and not blisters...for the most part I don't even think about them but every now and again when I slide on the fret board one kinda catches on a fret...doesn't hurt...just startles me but does screw up my riff. I thought about filing them and just wondered if anyone else had. I will try the emory board...that even I have. Thanks Soap.
                    BTW...like Madjack...I'm 40
                    -Michael

Comment

Originally posted by MadJack
                      at thirty eight, i'm thakful to be called a kid however it would be nice if you turned the condescending knob down just a touch...
                      who you calling a condescending knob?
                      Hail yesterday

Comment

I carefully snip off the catch with fingernail clippers than swipe said fingertip accross a piece of sandpaper to smooth it out a bit.

Comment

I remember this 70-80's mandolin instructional book I used to have (may still have) when the guy said something of the extent of "it would be ideal never to take showers, so that the calluses in your fingers dont tear". Dirty hippie (no offense intended)
                          Jackson RR3 (Japan, single EMG81)
                          Fender Stratocaster Deluxe Plus (American, Lace Gold Sensors)
                          Collings MT Mandolin

Comment

I use sandpaper if they get too crazy.

Then there was the time that I took a shower and played guitar immediately afterwards. I go to bend a string and slice off one of my calluses. Yep, clean off. Funny thing is that even though it took a nice sized chunk off my finger... I still had enough callus to keep playing. o_O

Comment

Working...
                            X