psycho-billy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• psycho-billy

So a friend has turned me on to psycho-billy with a bunch of compilation CDs he put together for me. Some great stuff, some great guitar playing, hilarious lyrics. Anyway, I'm attempting to get that hollow body, country guitar sound that rock-a-billy has. [img]/images/graemlins/idea2.gif[/img] I've started trying a little with my LP into an old pod 1.0 modelling the various fenders and then into the power stage of my Marshall and out to a 1960 slant cab with the usual 75W speakers. Haven't found it yet. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] Does this sound really require a hollow body and a Fender amp or...? Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Re: psycho-billy

Something like a Gretsch, Epiphone, or even one of those Ibanez Artcore hollowbodies into a nice clean amp with some slapback echo is pretty much the standard for rockabilly/psychobilly sounds. Check out Tiger Army if you haven't yet, especially their second album!

Comment

Tiger Army I haven't heard yet, I'll check it out. I've been listening to Nekromantics, Fireballs, Belmont Playboys (I swore it was Setzer singing at first), Deadbolt, Horror Pops, HellBillys, a bunch of others. Cool stuff. Thanks for the response.

Comment

Yeah, Boxcar has it right: You definitely need a semi-hollow body guitar...that's the key to the rockabilly/psychobilly sound. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

You need a GRETSCH dude!!!!!

Fender amp, running hot...slap back echo...

I saw Horton Heat, that was a fun fucking show.

Mike
          Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

I like Gretsch's..I have a 5129 Electromatic...but I was hard pressed to pay $700 for a guitar made in Korea. The REAL expensive Gretsch's like the Falcon are upwards of $2000-3000 dollars and they're Japaneese made!

But yourself an Oscar Schmidt OE40 for under $189. They look cool, got "the sound", and it plays every bit as good as my Electromatic.

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/1955-Gretsch-Roundup...1QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

what about a Gibson 335 copy? like a Tokai or something. would that get you 'the sound'?

Comment

I'd love a Gretsch or a Gibson. I've spent too much this past year already to snag one now though. I think I'll check out one of the cheaper suggestions to tide me over till I can afford to spring for one of the G's. The 12K Gretsch is something. A little too country and not enough rock-n-roll though perhaps (sorry for the Donny & Marie reference [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] ). I'm going to pick up a copy of "Smoke em if you got em" today. I already have a silver face bassman kicking around, I have to get a reverb pedal or something to use with it though. I think having a pod in front of the pre-amp just sucks on any of my amps and there isn't any effects loop on the bassman of course.

Comment

Working...
                  X