Good beginner/intermediate method book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good beginner/intermediate method book

I've been playing for a year without a lesson, and I wish for something more methodic to follow. Lead or rythm, it has to cover basics (but not TOO basics hehe...) such as fingerpicking, some nice riffs, some leads... For rock, metal blues... And if it's on Amazon it's all the better. Sorry I don't give much info but I'm too much a beginner to know enough about that.
    I've been advised Troy Stetina but I don't know which of his books would be the most adapted to me. I also found this:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...113368-4524665 but it's too one sided, though I really wouldn't mind.

Suggest away! Or ask any questions if you need.

Re: Good beginner/intermediate method book

Screw that fingerstyle blues unless you are really into stuff like Robert Johnson (which I enjoy listening to) but would actually be hard to play for a beginner and might get you frustrated.

Get the stetina rhythm book. fairly easy for a beginner, and the exercises sound pretty darn good if you've got a good metal amp. I think people underestimate good rhythm playing.

My strongest recommendation is to jot down a collection of songs that really turn YOU on (like you heard it somewhere and you just had to get the CD). Make a judgement call about whether it's easy or hard, stick to the easy ones, get the tabs, get the CDs, learn the songs, get drunk, and start jamming to them at loud volume.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

I agree that Metal Rhythm Vol. I is a good place to start. I would also recommend the Stetina Metal Lead Guitar Primer as a good starting point. If you can easily handle this book, then you can move on to his Metal Lead Guitar Vol. I. If you haven't already, check out his web site where he has descriptions of his books as well as samples of the songs you will learn. One nice thing about his books is that they are very methodical and each lesson builds on the previous ones.

Good luck!

Comment

Buy these 3 Troy Stetina Books:

Metal Rhythm 1
        Metal Lead 1
        Speed Mechanics

Comment

Working...
        X