Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Right hand fingering of a song (for bass)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right hand fingering of a song (for bass)

Recently I've learned Blackest Eyes by Porcupine Tree. After the main intro riff, comes this part
    e|----------------0-5-0---3-0-----.|
    d|0-0-3-3-5-5-6-6-------5-----5-3.|
    It's sort of a tongue twister for my fingers, I've come up with a fingering that's comfortable for my right hand but when I play it at the speed it's supposed to be played, it's still a little off. Here's how I do it (1=index 2=middle 3=ring)
    the first 8 ---------3-2-1-1-3-2-1-3
    notes are no problem

I'm sorry if this is confusing, lol. So can someone recomend an easy way in their opinion that I can finger this? (I'm right handed by the way)

I can't be bothered in explaining the tempo of the song, so you'll have to listen to it to get it.

Re: Right hand fingering of a song (for bass)

I assume you've tried fingering it as:

F|1-2-3-2-1-2-3-2-1-2-3-2-1-2-3-2
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Actually I haven't. I messed up the string names there, the e is supposed to be a. I have a tendency to do more than I can with my index finger, that's why some stuff is tricky. Thanks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Perhaps you should practice finger excersises?

1-2-3-2-1-2-3-2-1-2-3-2-1-2-3-2-1-2-3 and so on. That helps you have a fluid and even fingering/picking pattern and gives each finger the same attack potential.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

One thing that really helped my bass playing was studing classical guitar. Take a look at Diatonic Major and Minor Scales by Andres Segovia. It will give you some good right hand picking patterns to practice. If you also look at the left hand position shifts it will give you an idea on what you can do in certain phrases to make it easier on your right hand. This stuff is probably spelled out in bass specific books or online as well, I'm just not familiar with them, but this book is usually only a couple dollars.

Comment

i would say do it with just your index and pointer finger. those are generally the strongest and most consistent (strength of hit, speed, tone) for me atleast. if its to fast for ya go for three but add only the third finger when needed. i try and limit myself to the first two fingers and only add the third when im playing something that is going to be consistently fast.

i look at it kinda like straight down picking for guitar players, you get a stronger more consistent tone and feel for timing, and just helps with stamina if you practice enough.

Comment

you guys are thinkin' way too much..just play the damn thing! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
              X