Need advice on learning sweeps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on learning sweeps

can anyone suggest a good song to learn with relatively easy sweeps?

thanks guys

-Chris

Re: Need advice on learning sweeps

Probably best to just start with exercises as anything I know with sweeping is pretty fast.

Comment

yeah I am too trying to get sweeps down and what i do to work on it is just play a really simple arpeggio slowly and get ur fret hand fast in the shape of the arpeggio and just work at it. I don't know if that helps, I bet thats what your already doing. But that way of learning takes along time but I think thats the only way to do it. I hope that helps good luck!!!

Comment

Check out www.chadcoggin.com. He teaches some good arpeggio/sweep exercises. Start slow and work up your speed.

Comment

I cat actualy remember Chad doing a song that was fully constructed with sweeps alone?I take it this chap here wants to play a neoclasical sweeping showcase,if thats the case then may i sugest you take a gander at KC(jonester)
          He used to have a website but i think he might be doing other stuff these days-anyway this is his lessons page at (guitartricks)losts of neoclassical sweeps and lil sngs to learn
          http://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.p...t=5458&s_id=37

Comment

it takes a LOT of work. at least i had to work very hard to get my sweeping technique to a halfway decent level.
            i recommend you start doing 2 or 3 string arpeggios, playing them slow (to a metronome) and gradually speeding them up. take some time, though, don't rush through it.
            once you got that down, head over to 4,5, and 6 string arpeggios. once again, start slow and gradually build up speed.
            remember to mute the unplayed notes with both your fretting and your pick hand.
            practice, practice, practice.....remember, guys like yngwie used to practice all day long, for YEARS.

as far as songs go i'm with thetroy; basically anything i know is damn fast. way too fast for a beginner. one of the slowest examples would be the small Am arpeggio during the main solo of metallica - creeping death, but then again that's just like 5 seconds or something.

edit: ah, i got one for you. listen to testament-first strike is deadly (it's the 6th song on the legacy). there's a longer arpeggio section right before the harmony part of the lead that's not very difficult or fast. you can find tabs over at powertabs.net although i don't know how accurate they are for this song. usually it's good stuff though, better than guitar pro imho.

Comment

i've been trying sweeps for ages. i just cant get it synced up right, i can do the down sweeps and up fine with my picking hand, but if i try and playing an actual arpeggio at anything other than SLOOOOOOW it sounds like total ass..

just got to keep at it i guess.

Manowars 'My Spirit Lives On' has shit loads of arpeggios one after the other, from the 1st fret up to the 20th... would be a good work out!

Comment

Dont bother learning to sweep. Make up your own technique to get the same sound involving legato, rapid position shifts, 8 fingered tapping, super accurate whammy bar articulation, fast alternate picking, a digitech whammy pedal and a hair dryer...

Comment

BTW, I think you will also need an empty washing up liquid bottle and some yoghurt pots

Comment

Kirks solo in Leper Mesiah is one of the easier sweeping solos that I can think of. straight minor and major 5th string root arpeggios over the g, b and high e strings.

I do agree that learning the triads are important as well. It is one thing to just learn the basic patterns up and down the board, but breaking them down and figuring out how they go tegether is want can enable you to actually apply them in cool ways (like Marty Friedman) if that matters to you.
                    "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Practice arpeggios using only one finger to fret every note - not one finger per string, I mean one finger period.
                      Improves your speed at changing positions as well as helps you establish the ability to start an arpeggio on any fret/string.

Then practice them with 2 fingers, alternating between them.
                      Then 3, then all 4.
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Rusty Cooley has some great excersises in his Chops from Hell instructional releases... They are knda pricey for what they are, but i learned alot. There are some basic patterns that are really helpfull.....Ill try to post a clip later so you dont have to waste 50 bucks. Cheers [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                        www.soundclick.com/matthewpigott

Comment

Alright......This is just a clip of excersises i like to do to warm up my sweeping. The first part i show the A major and minor shape i like to use for arpeggios (not the only one of course, but this is mostly to get my picking hand to work) Then i use these two shapes to do a diatonic major proggression in A. Watch the picking hand.......... Wankerism.....Now that ive wasted your time, the next one is a great practice. Its a shape i took from rusty cooley. If you notice the picking hand its a sweep up three strings, directly into a sweep down three strings. By doing it this way you eliminate the hammeron at the top, and i find it makes it easier to keep in sync because you never stop picking. Hope this helps a bit, and i realise it probably wont. Sweeping is all about practice, and if you sit on your ass and play to a metronome through the examples slowly for weeks on end i garrantee results. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] http://s64.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1...B0I6CI80UAT4ZG
                          www.soundclick.com/matthewpigott

Comment

One solo that I've been working with to help me with my sweep picking is Metal Heart by Accept. I do the Dimmu Borgir version. I think it's a good practice as it's not all sweep picking, you have to transition between that and regular picking. I'm starting to get it faster and faster, hopefully in a couple of weeks I can get it.

HTH

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Practice arpeggios using only one finger to fret every note - not one finger per string, I mean one finger period.
                              Improves your speed at changing positions as well as helps you establish the ability to start an arpeggio on any fret/string.

Then practice them with 2 fingers, alternating between them.
                              Then 3, then all 4.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a pretty cool practice technique. I'll have to try that.
                              http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X