Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is great technique wasted on non-musicians?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is great technique wasted on non-musicians?

I'm from the keith richards school of "if what's coming out of the speakers sucks. it sucks then". i guess it's a product in the end and it has to be finished and catchy or forget it unless it's a niche' dude with an audience.
    Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

great thread! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
      my experience is that a lot of my friends don't "get" at all a lot of the player stuff that I'm listening to, like Yngwie, PG, Becker etc.

And the comments I have received on my own stuff is that the song that I feel was least complicated to finish, is the one they like the most!
      I am going like "what..there are no quadruple-track harmonies on that one!??:scratch:" [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

so it definitely comes down to melody, and melodic solos tailored to the song.

I really love YJM's work, but I don't think you would find many non-players in his audience on any given night.

Comment

"And the comments I have received on my own stuff is that the song that I feel was least complicated to finish, is the one they like the most! "
        exfuckinactly. my band has three songs that seem to be the most appreciated. one's a really melodic one, the other one is an EASY (imho) and really slow song (it's the title track of our most recent album, so that might be the reason), and the third one is an all out thrasher that's only so well known because it was featured on a few samplers so this is usually the first song people are hearing when they first get into my band.
        i'd rather say it's more about having a catchy theme like a driving chorus, a neckbreaking groove or whatever than just melody.

as for the YJM....so true. yngwie just hasn't written any halfway decent song since rising force...IMHO. of course, his chops obviously are kickass, so don't take this as yngwie bashing.

Comment

ehee, dude Risin Force was his first album wich highlight were the instrumentals, good SONGS came since the Trilogy to the end of the 80's.
          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

no i was talking about the song rising force, which is the first song on the odyssey album [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

ok, use these " " if you write song names [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

shuddup, i'm rick james, bitch [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

lol,

you are a very kinky boy

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    shuddup, i'm rick james, bitch [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

thats beeotch!
                    PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

ah, man, ya know...cocain's a helluva drug [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

No, motherfuckers....I'M RICK JAMES.

Fuck your couch!!! Fuck your couch!!!!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Mike
                        Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

i don't publicise my music so i don't have to impress anyone or feel embarassed about a fukup. i don't even play other people's songs.
                          Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Technical ability does play a major factor in what you CAN play, but should never dictate what you SHOULD play.

[/ QUOTE ]

+10

I'd like to be able to play the fast, notey parts of most Opeth songs that Martin Mendez plays, as well as the fast slap part in the song Blackwater Park, but it doesn't mean I should base my style on every single thing he plays. A good example is from the same bassist. On Damnation (Opeth's mellow prog rock-ish album) Martin's playing was very toned down, it was slow, it went well with the songs, perfectly.

What I don't like are songs by players like Michael Angelo Batio. The songs are very very fast and technical, but musically boring. Although what I do think is cool is when the bass is used as a lead instrument sometimes (see Billy Sheehan [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] ) because you almost never see it done.

Comment

A friend of mine had a songwriting tip which went : If you can't have someone hum it back to you, it's crap

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Actually quite a useful tip !

Comment

Working...
                              X