economy picking instructional videos and exercise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• economy picking instructional videos and exercise

anybody have some good instructional videos or exercises for economy picking? i just started with jeff loomis' column in guitar world and want to expand on it. thanks

Re: economy picking instructional videos and exercise

Try www.frankgambale.com

he is the best economy picker out there right now

Comment

Re: economy picking instructional videos and exerc

Michael Angelo has some good stuff on his instructional DVD.

Also learn to circular pick.

There is a wealth of info on the net. Just type in economy picking in yahoo and you will get all kinds of stuff to keep you busy.
      PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Re: economy picking instructional videos and exercise

[ QUOTE ]
        Try www.frankgambale.com

he is the best economy picker out there right now

[/ QUOTE ]

+1
        Gambale has great instructional material. [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
        If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Also learn to circular pick.

[/ QUOTE ]

may I ask what circular pick is?!? [img]/images/graemlins/brow.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          never heard this before... you're not talking about some kind of string skipping are you?
          tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

Get Gambale's "chop builder" it's entertaining and insrtuctional as well. It(VHS tape)came with a good tab booklet/manual showing everything covered.
            He also has a tape/dvd that deals specifically with "sweeping", get it too, very good stuff.
            Overall, Gambale is nortorious for his impeccable sweeping skills. When you see him play in one of his tapes or dvd's its good stuff, impressive. No flash, just good clean fast techn.
            Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

I will try to explain it but better to look it up on the net. There you can see examples. Just type in circular picking.

You move the pick in a clockwise direction as you pick. It is used a lot in sweep picking arpeggios or playing fast trills.

You move the pick in circular motion going from the low e string your pick moves in a circular fashion towards the nut. Still going in a circle when your pick crosses the D string the circle starts back towards the bridge. Completing a half moon shape as you go from the low e to the high e string.

As you pick down on the high e string, you hit the high e string again coming back in a circular motion. (Although when you get good you can skip over the high e string if you don't want to hit it again).

So coming back up your pick moves in a circular motion form the high e sring towards the bridge and as you cross the g string still moving in a circle your pick now moves towards the nut. Completing a full circle as you pick.

This does a couple things - smooths out your picking, provides some space or distance between strings because you are moving at somewhat of an angle against the strings as opposed to straight up and down. This takes away the scraping noises that strings cause when doing arpeggios. You can get some interesting trill combinations using this technique on just 2 strings also. This takes away some of the friction between the pick and the strings because you are picking at an angle against the string.

If you want to maximize your arpeggio sweeps and maximize how clean your arpeggios sound circular picking is the answer.
              PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Paul Gilbert is pretty good at sweeping and string skipping as well. I got a couple of his instrut. videos and he explains the techn "how to do it" well also. Gilbert like Gambale is a good teacher too.
                Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

wow, this sounds pretty cool actually!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                  think I'll try to figure it out. it really seems to make sence to me what you said above...

thx for explaining!! my sweeps do indeed still have room for improvement in some way... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  thanks man!
                  tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

I recently asked about this too.

An easier explanation would be to sweep while tracing an imaginary soundhole, like on a acoustic, but more of an oval shape.
                    www.WarCurse.com

Comment

Yeah I find I do more of an oval shape actually but never the less it has the name circular picking.

It really evens out the sound of the strings, takes away excess noise, smooths the way the pick crosses the strings, provides greater note articulation and bottom line makes your arpeggios sound as good as they can be.

All the top shredders use this technique - a must have if you want to rip through while still maitaining clarity and articulation.
                      PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

I agree Michael Angelo's Speed Kills, although dated, is still a prett good video for picking technique.

slevy007

Comment

If you want a sweep/alternate picking video go check out www.rustycooley.com, or www.chopsfromhell.com.....tons of good videos from here. Also you should check out the young guitar video called the guitar chapter by michael romeo....he has some good economy stuff
                          www.soundclick.com/matthewpigott

Comment

Get Fnak gambales speed picking instructional, after seeing taht you will not have any questions about economy picking.

Comment

+1 to the Gambale vids. I bought monster licks and speed picking and havn't looked back.

Comment

Working...
                              X