Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fretboard tapping, help me learn how it's done!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fretboard tapping, help me learn how it's done!

Been playing for nearly five years and still can't tap notes audibly. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Could someone give instructions specifically tailored towards the right hand tapping technique? I have no problem hammering notes and pulling off notes to get them nice and clear, but that damn tapped note is the weakest and most muffled. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

While we're on the subject, I also have trouble HEARING the notes in the tapping sequence when trying to transcribe songs. It's just a huge flurry of notes to me. I can transcribe almost anything by ear but tapping I can't do. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Specifically, I've looked for a tab and/or Guitar Pro file for Def Leppard's "Stand Up" from the "Adrenalize" album and have transcribed Phil Collen's guitar solo easily except the tapping part. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Help!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Thanks everyone.

Re: Fretboard tapping, help me learn how it\'s done

I'm not sure how to describe tapping to someone.
    It's all about applying proper impact pressure and then the timing of the release. Took me many tries before I was able to do it with any sort of clarity.
    As for the tapping in the "Stand Up" solo, that's actualy Viv and Phil playing it together. So it's understandable that you can't hear the notes individualy. Viv has tapping down to an art form.
    -Rick

Comment

Hmm, they play it together like Phil and Steve on the "Hysteria" solo? It doesn't sound doubled up like the "Hysteria" solo though.

Also, the music video of "Stand Up" only shows Phil playing the solo, so I just assumed he was alone there. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I assume it's the right hand you're having trouble with. The biggest problem I see people have with tapping is the way the right hand hits the fretboard. It needs to be a quick snappy kind of motion and not a pressing motion. If there's no problem doing hammer on's with the left hand, try to see how your finger hits for the hammer and try to match the same attack for the right hand finger or fingers.

Comment

Yup, just the right hand technique that I'm having trouble with. Do I smash my finger straight onto the string, or do I have to "pluck" it a little bit? I find that I get a little more volume when "plucking" it but it sounds like I've bent the note a slight bit and raised the pitch of that note. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Dunno how else to explain it. Oh well, back to practicing.

Comment

The best way I know how to explain it is to just hammer down and pull off. In theory that's all it is, I suggest using your index finger when trying to do this, I just found that it's easier. Then, rest part of the hell of your hand on the fretboard and use it as an anchor, try to do the tapping as fluidly as possible (meaning try to do it in one motion). The way I end up doing it is it's a diagonal kind of motion towards the ground. Just focus on hammering and pulling slowly, once you get a good sound you can combine the two.

Comment

Okay, THAT explains it very well!!!! Thanks. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] The "diagonal" motion makes sense, it's halfway between a "pluck" and a hammer.

Now I just have to work on coordinating my left and right hands to work together on this, haha. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] And also find the tab for the tapping part... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Hmm, they play it together like Phil and Steve on the "Hysteria" solo? It doesn't sound doubled up like the "Hysteria" solo though.

Also, the music video of "Stand Up" only shows Phil playing the solo, so I just assumed he was alone there. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                I had the opportunity of being about 15 feet away from them when they performed it on the Adrenalize tour when they where in Phx.
                My wifes boss at the time was a friend of Malvin's and got us all access passes for my wifes birthday present. When I say all access, I mean I was able to walk right onto the stage or the green room if I felt the need to... I didn't. Anyway, they both played pieces of the solo, but I remember that Viv actualy did most of the tapping work. I've learned never to trust music videos as a reference unless it's from a live event. Lep are notorious for overdubbing everything from guitars to vocals in the studio. But the end result sounds killer. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                -Rick

Comment

I second what Edgar said about it being just like hammer-ons and pull-offs...that's essentially all there is to it...plus you need to work on the timing if you're not used to doing it.

Hammer your finger down with a bit of gusto. You should be able to make it just as loud as a left hand hammer-on...probably louder. I find that using a bit of force also helps the timing, but that could be just me.

I prefer to use my middle finger btw, because that way I can still hold on to the pick.

Comment

I'm using my middle finger as well. Eventually I want to incorporate the ring and pinky finger into my technique, but let's get one finger down at a time first. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I believe "Adrenalize" was recorded as a 4-piece and Viv joined the band sometime shortly afterwards for the tour... but I could be very rusty on my Def Leppard history. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] I just assumed Phil recorded all the guitar work on that album. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

You are correct... Phil did do the recording and there is also a touch of Steve and Pete on some tracks as well. Steve was still alive when some of the tracks were getting started.
                      Pete Willis has always put in some time on every album even though he's no longer part of the "official" band.

As to finger tapping, I also use my middle finger as well.
                      I treat tapping sort of like a slightly sustained hammer if that makes sense. Occasionaly, if I'm having a good day, I will throw in the ring finger. My pinky is useless for this. Not enough practice with it so the finger strength is not there.
                      -Rick

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        The best way I know how to explain it is to just hammer down and pull off. In theory that's all it is, I suggest using your index finger when trying to do this, I just found that it's easier. Then, rest part of the hell of your hand on the fretboard and use it as an anchor, try to do the tapping as fluidly as possible (meaning try to do it in one motion). The way I end up doing it is it's a diagonal kind of motion towards the ground. Just focus on hammering and pulling slowly, once you get a good sound you can combine the two.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent explanation! I'm the opposite from this as I tap in an upward motion. It's just what works the best for me and is the most comfortable. Most everyone uses their middle finger from what I've seen but the direction that they do the pull off varies. See which one you like best/gives you the best sounding note.
                        My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

Glad I could help! Yeah, playing guitar is all about being comfortable and developing your own style... so play around with it and see what works for you. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Okay, I spent some time today practicing tapping "at an angle" and resting the heel of my palm across the other strings to mute them... AWESOME!!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] I find that a diagonal upward motion (like I'm fingerin' pussy or something [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ) with my middle finger works the best for my style, and the notes ring out loud and true! I can't thank you enough!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Rjohnstone, if you know the tapping part for the "Stand Up" solo, I was wondering if you could please transcribe it. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I tried again today, no such luck for me. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Rjohnstone, if you know the tapping part for the "Stand Up" solo, I was wondering if you could please transcribe it. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I tried again today, no such luck for me. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                              I'm not real good at transcribing onto paper, but I'll give it a shot. I haven't played it in a while, so when I get some free time at home I'll break out the CD and give it another run. I'll try and have something for you by this weekend.
                              -Rick

Comment

Working...
                              X