Picking Tecnique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picking Tecnique

In your experience is there a right or a wrong way to pick? Ive seen very skilled people hold the pick in a closed fist and rest very little of the palm on the body of the guitar, (such as mark tremonti in this vid http://www.mark-tremonti.com/video/SweepPicking.wmv ) And ive seen people rest their pinky on the body for some more stability, such as john petrucci http://www.johnpetrucci.com/images/jp/RMA-JP.jpg , like I do. By not picking the other way am I doing things less efficiently, should I change it?

Re: Picking Tecnique

unfortunately this is one of those things you have to fight through with trial and error and find what works for YOU. whatever is most comfortable and works.
    Hear the universe scream
    Bleeding from black holes
    Whom horns careless
    And whom God mourns

Comment

" find what works for YOU. whatever is most comfortable and works. "
      +1
      also, those differences eventually are what makes you sound like YOU, and not like any other guitar player. imagine every guitar player had the exact same technique....boy, would it be boring [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

go for whatever works for you. even if that includes playing upside down like hendrix [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

+136,923

I have john's rock discipline dvd and watched real closely how he picked and you talk about smooth picking but I tried to mimick his picking hand and just not comfortable to me. He does use his wrist instead of his whole forearm like mark was using. I prefer to use my wrist and thumb/finger movement over using my whole arm. But to make a long story short, its ALL personal preference. Hell, look at marty freidman [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Eh. Do whatever you want. My hand only touches the strings to palm mute, otherwise it's floating

Comment

This has confused the hell out of me the entire time I've played and I'm still trying to find what the best way is. Seems whatever works for you, keep on doing it.

Comment

Agreed. Whatever works. But it takes some time to get it really comfortable.

Aternate picking exercises will speed up the process.
              PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

It's the right way if it works, and it's the wrong way if it hurts.
                Do whatever feels comfortable. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I think for every thing that sometimes is viewed as bad technique, there is a virtuoso who makes it work really well for himself. One of the best examples is mentioned above, John Petrucci with resting the pinky on the body of the guitar...
                http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

I watched the other vids at Tremonti's site. Damn, that dude is better than I expected! He's got some serious shred in him.

Comment

yea he does. I used to think he was just some hack, he still has a bit to go though, but he does learn from michael angelo and troy stetina. Saw stetinas band play before alterbridge at summer fest a few weeks back....good guitar, but the band was crap. Last time I spoke with tremonti he said he was working on some stuff for an appearance on the new angelo album. Which could allready be out i dont know. I remember reading in a guitar one "Tremontis shred secrets revealed!!" I opened it up to see simple 4 note two string speed licks and some 3 stringer sweeps. I think alterbridge is probably a bit more accesible for youngins too so perhaps hes helping bring shred back into its spotlight

Comment

Don't get tricked into this 'bad form' BS. Whatever feels right for YOU is best for YOU!
                      You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

I agree. Whatever is best. Different strokes for different folks! But to get ideas, I'd watch Al DiMeola's picking hand, also Yngwie's and Paul Gilbert's. Rent their instuctional videos and watch the picking hand!

Comment

My picking style is a little like John Petrucci's i guess. Resting my pinky on the body gives me a little more comfort and stability when playing fast runs.
                          93 USA Soloist EDS
                          USA HT6 Juggernaut
                          Charvel DK24FR

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            " find what works for YOU. whatever is most comfortable and works. "
                            +1
                            also, those differences eventually are what makes you sound like YOU, and not like any other guitar player. imagine every guitar player had the exact same technique....boy, would it be boring [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

go for whatever works for you. even if that includes playing upside down like hendrix [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

dude i totally agree

Comment

Working...
                            X