Getting better at singing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting better at singing?

I'm kind of interested about how one would go about getting better at singing. I've never done any singing in any real form other than at shows and in the car. Any suggestions on how to get started / going on it?

Re: Getting better at singing?

Well, if you want to be a good singer that has to be in you already for a bit, do you normally sing throughout the day and stuff? (I do! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ).

If you do that your voice will already be trained a bit, if not start right now! Practice really really helps.

You could also start taking some basic scales, putting them on cassette and sing them after the tape, like many singers do.

Most important it is to learn not to strain your voice too much, by letting it 'come from the belly'. I don't know how to explain this over the messageboard, but just let the major power and flow of the sound come from your gut and let your voice do the fine tuning. Classical singers take some time to acquire this technique, anyone does, but once you get it your singing will be much better and you will be able to do a lot more.
    You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

man I want to sing too. When I was a little kid I was THE LEAD singer in my school's choire. I was there for a while and had enough of it and told the music teacher to fuck herself. Since then I didn't really sing anymore.
      Last year I started to sing a little again, MAN my voice is SOOOOO horrible. Shit I can sing in pitch If I really try to, I just singed a long with Whitesnake and Queensryche. I can hit Coverdale's and Tate's high notes. I think my range is pretty high. My maximum is the same as the high E string fretted on the 15-th fret an A note. But my voice is horrible. Those swedish guys whos vids were posted lately here have better voice than I do. Damn, I don't want to be a lead singer but a good back singer, I have to take some singing lessons I think. That would be a new experience to me because I've never had any real music lessons before. [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]
      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Practice singing to tapes, CDs, in your car/truck whenever wherever but, know your limits and range. Singing is one thing that will help you out ALOT when going for an audition for a band. You dont have to be a virtuoso guitarist. If you can play decent and sing decent you'll have better chances getting the gig.

Comment

I would recommend finding yourself a vocal coach. There are many exercises you can do to train your voice and stretch your octaves and a vocal coach will show you how to do that, as well as teach you breath control (which is very important). It is very hard to explain it in writing. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Singing along with your fav bands is fun and all... but there is no one else there to hear you and watch you and critique you. You can be straining and not even know it.
          Keep in mind that singing should be as natural to you as talking. But just like jabbering all day long, singing all day long can wear out your voice. So take care of it and be sure to give it a rest.
          Warming up with scales (as you play them, perhaps, on guitar) is an excellent idea. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Goodluck, hope this helps some!

-Em

Comment

Sing your ABCs, you'll find your comfort range when you get to "E".
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

i sing better when i'm all raspy after a bender and all the smoking. seriously.
              Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Thats the drugs talking tommy [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

that's the drugs singing davey-lol
                  Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Working...
                  X