Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sweeping licks

hi

i REALLY need to work on my sweeping technique. i can play 2 and 3 string arps quite easily at decent speed, but the 5 and 6 string ones are giving me a hard time. mostly because it's kind of hard to find out whether i'm playing cleanly or not. i always think i hit one or two notes only half assed...but i'm not sure [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] this is with distorion as well as clean.

so well.....to make a long story short, i'd like to get some ideas i can practice....big extended arps over all strings....just playing a minor at the 12th fret for 5 minutes, and then go and play a major etc is kinda boring.
    i'd like to be able to incorporate some sweeping arps into my improvisations, similar to jeff loomis stuff. i'm pretty good at legato and alternate as well as economy picking, and my taps aren't too shabby, either, so sweeping is pretty much the last "big" one left [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

greets

Re: sweeping licks

If you can do 2 to 3 strings, why not do four instead of jumping to all 6?

Practice sweeping major and minor shapes. Take an F chord on the bottom four strings (bottom meaning towards the floor) - practice sweeping that shape. Also, an Am chord at the 5th fret on the bottom four strings too, where you'll need to roll your first finger.

You need to learn stuff in degrees... don't jump to the 5 and 6 string forms just yet. Expand on what you know slowly and you'll get it.

Pete

Comment

What I try to do is some pentatonic sweeps. Just use a couple of box shapes and make some ideas choosing notes that will easily facilitate sweeping. Make em using however many strings you want. Marty and Jason did this kind of stuff. It is easy to get started with and will create more interesting results than just major and minor arpeggios.

Comment

I sweep off of pentatonics occasionally, and with extended chords - but if I was going to learn it over again I'd try to limit the shapes I used and focus more on the right hand technique. Between the two shapes I mentioned, he's going to learn things that will help with any shape he uses later on.

Not focusing on one part of a technique IMHO is why a lot of people fail in their playing goals. They spread it out too much and get overwhelmed, then give up again.

Pete

Comment

I'm actually pretty good at sweep picking - I can glide across all 6 with even pressure and back again - it's that damn fretting at the same time that gives me fits [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Look up some of the other sweeping topics in this forum.

There are plenty that have great advice.
            PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Working...
            X