Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Something I found impressive............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something I found impressive............

Here's something I thought I would share with the group. I grew up listening to classical music and have always studied a few classical pieces to help my technique such as picking, hand movement, sweep picking (which i still suck at) and various other things. I came across a mp3 file that said "Jason Becker - paganini's 24th caprice". I used to have a cd called "Eliot Fisk - 24 caprices" that, still to this day, is some of the most impressive guitar works ive ever heard. I can't exactly confirm that this is jason becker but the piece is amazing, imo. Anyway, ive been studing the piece for a few days now and think that its perfect to use as a practice guide. Lots of alternate picking, sweeping picking, string skipping, and more. Below you'll find the tablature and the song. Take a look and listen closely. Some of the most amazing melodies you'll ever hear.

24th caprice

tablature:

http://www.e-tabs.org/tab/paganini/caprice_24

on a quick note, upon finding this paganini stuff, I learned something I didn't know. Everyone knows the movie crossroads with steve vai at the end of it. The part where ralph machicio character totally kicks ass on the classical piece and then steve vai tries the same piece and ultimately drops his guitar and walks off? That is Paganini's 5th caprice. Im also using this piece as a good alternate picking excercise.

Re: Something I found impressive............

I think pretty much everyone knows Paganini, especially guitarplayers. I personally don't really like the baroque-only composers that much. They're technically proficient, but they pale to the likes of Mozart, Händel, Bach, Beethoven, Liszt (exception), Tschaikovski, Shostakovitsj, Stravinsky, ...

Especially for guitar, I think the nicer violin pieces of the aforementioned Shostakovitsj, for example, are much much nicer to play on guitar.

Paganini is just overrated imho, and lots of guitarists flaunt him as if he's THE shit. He's not, really.
    You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Paganini is just overrated imho, and lots of guitarists flaunt him as if he's THE shit. He's not, really.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. He is a good composer, but guitarists get off on the technicallity of his stuff more than the musical value I think. Thank you for posting that though, it's something for me to mess with for awhile. Jesus, the beginning is simple, but I haven't played for so long I feel like I never picked up a guitar in my life. Back to practicing...

Comment

anytime man.......

I'm sure there are tons of things better out there to play and I wouldnt say he's the best (far from it actually) but I found this piece to be helpful since it contains loads of technique to practice.

Comment

I think Paganini's popularity among guitarists has more to do with his "mystique" than anything else. Paganini had long hair, played wildly, etc, etc... Yngwie had a lot to do with that in his early interviews.I remember the huge "Bach trend" from the 80's, as well. Personally, I like Mozart and Beethoven over most of them.
          Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

I like more "interesting" composers like Claude Debussy and Maurice Ravell who did some cool mystical sounding impressionism type classical pieces. Chopin, Stravinksy are cool, also Stockhausen who did some really odd stuff. I've always liked Bach too. Paganini is awsome, but he isn't the only really technical dude, Liszt and Schumman are also top-notch shredders.
            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I generally prefer Classical pieces as complete orchestrations rather than focus on the "solo". While it can be said that the instrumental-nature of most Classical pieces is akin to modern-day "Shredding" like Vai or Satch, Rock/Fusion tends to lack the orchestral complexity and depth.
              That's understandable, of course, as it's usually meant to be performed by 4 or 5 players, with some groups venturing into SuperGroups of up to 10 players, but once they get that big they usually branch off into freeform Jazz and lose the focus of a Classical-type orchestration.

Still, it would be nice to have a large "Rock" group that could do Classical-style arrangements with a purely Classical theme, and not include any other styles such as Jazz, Blues, or Rock, other than the featured instruments.

Personally I'd like to do "Night On Bald Mountain".
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I like Paganini a lot, he's not overated in classical music terms, only so by guitarists who only know of him through the neo-classical shredders who list him as influence. I think he was a madman on violin and yes I know of other forms and era's of classical music. He had a lot more to offer than just the 24th caprices. I prefer hearing this piece played on violin than guitar though. I love violin concertos and the tone of the instrument, how fluid it is, it can be so smooth but can be rough too, nice contrast (like guitar).

I had an album from Itzhak Perlman and John Williams that was great, just the 2 of them, just violin and classical guitar. When I heard that album that's when I really got into violin and looked at it as a "lead" instrument. When you break it down and learn the stuff on guitar its great for your playing technique and overall musical logic. Also if you play those pieces on electic guitar (distortion) and if people don't know classical music they think metal.

I do prefer Bach and Vivaldi when it comes to violin stuff tho. The 4 seasons are great.
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

Shawn, Shostakvitsj probably wrote the best Violin concerto's ever created, you should definitly check out his concerto's, you will not be dissapointed!
                  You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Paganini is a figgin genious! I have listened to his stuff. Its awesome period. Most guitar players can only dream of playing the guitar as good as Pag played his violin.

His 24th caprice was just written out note for note with all the finger notations by Yngwie in Guitar Player (I think it was Guitar Player).

I have the magazine and bought it just for that. It has Via, Zakk and another guy on the cover (can't remember his name).

His use of scales, his chromatic variations, his playing techniques are all amazing.
                    PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

That "other guy" was that ESPee-whore Laiho [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I've always seen a corellation between classical and bluegrass. Bluegrass is, of course, less complex, but a lot of bluegrass pieces make me think of a happy, cheery Mozart tune.

Having said that, I bet "Orange Blossom Special" would sound awesome if done as a shredder/speed metal piece.
                        Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

> I read an pool-related article that posed the question "How much practice is enough?",and it had a short story about Paganini. According to the story,people regarded him as being "possessed",as his technique was head and shoulders above anyone else of the time,yet no one had ever seen him practice,he just picked it up and played live. Earlier in life,he was thought of as a washed up wannabe,but things changed after he met a princess and moved into a castle,where he'd spend most of his time practicing alone. It was mentioned that someone snuck a peek at him,and saw him practicing with his FRETTING HAND ALONE,and he did this several hours a day for close to 4 years. After that,the only time he ever picked up a violin was to play live. It was also mentioned that his own music was so complex that no one else could play it,causing people to think he had made a deal with the Devil or something of the sort. There was also a theory that his hands were somewhat deformed,as he had all kinds of extra joints that gave him movement in directions totally uncommon to anyone else. He was around 30 or so when he quit practicing. Tommy D.
                          "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

Comment

Lots of mystery when it comes to Paganini. I've also heard stories of him filing a string down so it would break while playing live allowing him to show off being able to play the same way on only 3 strings. Who knows how much truth is behind all of the stories. All I know is I enjoy his music. And besides, without him where wound Yngwie be? I guess he could still copy Richie Blackmore's look! LOL

Comment

that's not jason becker at all,
                              it's probably john williams (not movie composer)

Paganini's style isn't Baroque.
                              He composed some great classical guitar sonatas that are some of my favourites. He's not the all out technicality only guy most people are led to believe. His grand sonata in A is an absolute pleasure to play.

Comment

Working...
                              X