Inspiration vs. Intimidation - Advice for Newbies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Inspiration vs. Intimidation - Advice for Newb

You know, speaking of the younger genration today (like myself, I'm 17), older musicians automatically assume that we like today's nu metal and such. The funny thing is that the tides have turned A LOT. There was a time when that was true, but that kind of subsided now, and a lot more kids are into guitar based music then people think. Yeah, your always going to have trendy (to nu metal) people, but in fact the new trend thing seems to go backwards in time. Maybe my town is different, but I see a hell of a lot more Zeppelin shirts then Blink 182 ones. But this is coming from a kid who doesn't watch tv (except for the history channel sometimes [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]), so I wouldn't know the most popualr trends. It's just my two cents though...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      You know, speaking of the younger genration today (like myself, I'm 17), older musicians automatically assume that we like today's nu metal and such. The funny thing is that the tides have turned A LOT. There was a time when that was true, but that kind of subsided now, and a lot more kids are into guitar based music then people think. Yeah, your always going to have trendy (to nu metal) people, but in fact the new trend thing seems to go backwards in time. Maybe my town is different, but I see a hell of a lot more Zeppelin shirts then Blink 182 ones. But this is coming from a kid who doesn't watch tv (except for the history channel sometimes [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]), so I wouldn't know the most popualr trends. It's just my two cents though...

[/ QUOTE ]
      John, this is good to hear.
      Theres so much quality guitar stuff to learn from the 70's and 80's bands. You actually had to play the instrument and be decent song writers, and this era (70's and 80's) perfect to learn from. Your on the right track. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
      Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

I listen to only a handful of bands that were formed post-1990 and I'm a student! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

I sometimes feel like I have too many guitars for my ability level. I get discouraged and feel ridiculous about owning nice guitars when I feel I don't "deserve" them. But I guess it's not written anywhere that you have to be a virtuoso to appreciate the instrument and enjoy it on your own level. It seems to me that learning today is much more accessible then it was "back in the day" in that now there are endless instructional videos/DVD's, guitar magazines (with tabs), and the web. If you wanted to learn to play back in the 60s/70s/etc., there weren't a lot of resources at your disposal.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            I sometimes feel like I have too many guitars for my ability level.

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome to the club!
            [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Even though i get compliments on my playing from other players,I rarely ever pickup a guitar in a music store.Alot of times a music store employee will hook one up and hand it to me,ill strum a chord or two and maybe buy it.Ive came out of it some since im more confident and dont focus on "trying not to mess up".Some kind of complex...lol.And i really love to play.
              "The cup floats pretty good till you get 2 or 3 people on it"~Vinnie Paul

Comment

it is too easy to get caught up in that stuff. I went through the phases. I'd like seeing people who could smoke me because it made me go back to the woodshed so to speak. once I reached a point in my technique where I was condifent I could play whatever I wanted if I put my mind to it I would go checkout a lot of bands we gigged with and study, learn the whole deal, not just guitar playing. Although I technically could burn em lead wise them I lacked in the "whole picture" department and that would bring me down. I focused more on stage presesence, live sound and more in the pocket rhythm playing and more feeling in my improvs. You get humbled real quick if you have the gun slinger attitude when your a young player. There are so many elements to a great player and speed and technique isn't always on the top of the list.
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

Well put. I was pretty much the same way. I wanted the speed and cared about nothing else when I was young. As I got older, I started to become a musician and didn't shred over everything. I still enjoy playing fast (Shitt, I spent all those years working on it, I'm gonna use it!) But it's not everything. It's nice to have when you need it, but feel and style are WAY more important. Still, it's not a bad idea to develop speed as long as every note is clear. It will make you play everything better.

Comment

100% agree. Let it get the fire going inside when you see a great player. Picture yourself up there jammin no matter what your current level.
                    PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, there may be a retro wave coming in. I was totally shocked the other day that one of my little cousins and his buddies are into old-school Sabbath and Van Halen! And that he was learning to play the guitar! Dropped my jaw right there on the floor...

His eyes really bugged out when I took out the Rhoads though. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] So I showed him some licks and asked if he wanted to play it. He stared at me, saying:
                      "I...I can play it???"
                      [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

He was like a kid on christmas, playing my bolt-on Rhoads. It felt really bizarre to sit and talk old-school metal with such a young kid, but we had a great time! So at least there's hope for the young'ins! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I've been teaching guitar for about 15 years now. I always have young kids who love the old school stuff. Zepplin, Pink Floyd, Van Halen, Sabbath, among others. Some bands will never die!

Comment

Working...
                        X