Practice? How?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Practice? How?

I hope this isnt a repeat topic but............how many of us here have been told "practice, practice, practice if you want to get better". Ok, we all know that but, how do we practice? Are you suppose to practice sitting down, standing up, practice chords first, scales, arpeggios, what about body positioning and muscle reflex? Anyone have any ideas? Has anything ever been written about this or?

Re: Practice? How?

All of the above.

If you never practice sitting, you won't be as good a player sitting as you are standing, and vice versa.

Body position is whatever's comfortable for you.

Muscle reflex I'd say if also whatever's comfy for you.

As for chords/scale/arpeggios, which order you take them in is up to you, because whatever you spend more time with is what you will be best at. If you know all the scales in all the modes, that doesn't mean you know the chords or arpeggois.
    If you practice them equally, you'll be equally as good at all of them.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

"If possible, break up your practice time to twice a day and half as much - if you are going to play an hour a day, then do 30 minutes in the morning if you can and 30 in the evening. Never play anything too fast that you lose control... keep it nice and slow until you can play it precisely, then speed it up.

Learn the music YOU want to learn, not what your parents, friends or neighbors want. Or us, for the matter. Please yourself.

Pete"

This is by far the best advice i've come across. Btw, if you don't know whose Pete, Pete = Twisteramps.
      You can find a clip of him playing in the "MP3 Submissions" section.

Fong

Comment

I don't necessarily practice as much as I play. I spent many hours woodshedding in my younger years doing scales, modes, arpeggios, metronome etc. Now its a hobby, I gave up playing for a living a long time ago.

Now I just basically play to have fun improvise, learn new cover solos and record when I have the time. I don't consider it practicing as much as it is just trying to keep my skill up [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I will break out the metronome when I get a bit rusty doing some of the more difficult stuff, primarily for my pick-hand. To keep myself comfortable I do play solos by Rhoads, Lynch, Malmsteem, Vivian Campbell, Gary Moore etc. They seem to keep me up to speed for the most part. I'm not into the whole see how fast and boring I can be type of stuff so I don't need to practice how I used to do when I was younger.
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

I've also been playing for years but should be much better than I am. I think I didnt practice the "right way" as well as the "up all night, sleep all day" thing I went through when I was much younger. I certainly wish I had all the options years ago as far as learning as we do now. But, I've had fun and was blessed wiht a gift to play a musical instrument. I once had a lawyer tell me that anyone can be a lawyer but not everyone can play an instrument. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Dolan if your already fairly accomplished play stuff that is fun. Learn some cover songs that you didn't play years ago from players who you like. I have 2 kids and busy life and real practice time is hard to come by, I just play what I can when I can [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I hear you on practicing the wrong way. I got pretty good as far as speed in the left hand pretty quick when I first started and I took advantage of that. A couple years later it came time to learn some DeMiola or Malmsteen stuff, my left hand had no problem but my pick hand sucked [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] that is where the metronome came in handy [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
            shawnlutz.com

Comment

Shawn your right and I appreciate the great advice. I've been putting some time into it here lately and I can see where the metronome is a major help. I also found this cool article which made sense.

http://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=516

Comment

You pick up the guitar and start to have FUN!!
                You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Fun? Seriously................I would have never thought.............. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

NO, but seriously. I'm all for practicing scales and such, they help you A LOT.

But I get sick to my stomach when sometimes all I hear is some guitarplayers talking about nothing else than: 'oh yeah man, 15 minutes of that, 30 minutes of that, then I'll do 5 minutes of that, see man, it's all penned down here in my agenda....'

That, to me, is completely 'aguitarical'. (new word there [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])
                    You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

I understand what you mean. It is about having fun. I'm not one for following agendas or guidelines either.

Comment

Cool topic. After 8 months of not even lookin at a guitar I'm back into it and I pretty much forgot everything. Back to basics! Tryin to relearn scales and get a feel of em again. Think I'm gonna take it slower this time so I can get a real feel of em, when to use em and whatnot. Sorry for the thread hijack, but cool thread, had to throw my lil story in [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Be prepared to be confused for a very long time if you are just starting out.

Keep going and don't worry. Some day it will all come together.

Learn theory - modes and so forth - you don't need to be able to write classical maasterpieces with counterpioints etc...
                          But you need to learn the scales, modes, enough chords and eventually arpeggios depending on what music you want to play and how good you want to be.

If you want to shred picture it like weight lifting only with your fingers. Your have to develop your right hand (picking) and left hand and it takes specific exercises to do that over time. Picking speed, finger strength and coodination take years. Vibrato is a whole skill unto itself and also take many years. Many players practice to the point of fatigue and thats what it takes to be really really good.

You also need a practice regime and dedicate time to it. Warm up, then play some hard stuff that you already know to re-enforce your technique, then work on new stuff. At least 1/2 of each minimum every day.
                          PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Working...
                          X