whats that software called?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats that software called?

recently i saw in a post here of some software for slowing down recordings so you can pick apart solo's and stuff. whats the name/link? i can't find the post now! cuz i bought one of those tascam guitar trainers for like $150.00, but if this softwares good, i'll return the tascam thing and save $100.00. what exactly are the features etc. of this software and how good is the sound quality when slowed down? the tascam can sound flangy and you still can't pick some stuff out! the amp sounds like ass too. i don't need the amp. [img]/images/graemlins/fart.gif[/img]
    Hear the universe scream
    Bleeding from black holes
    Whom horns careless
    And whom God mourns

Re: whats that software called?

Save yourself the money. Play your song in Windows Media Player, go to View, Enhancements, Play Speed Settings. You can use it to slow down the song.

And flanginess/woofiness is an INHERENT CHARACTER of slowing down ANYTHING. You're altering the sound structure of the file so obviously it's not going to clean up pretty but that's because people are trying to slow things down below 50%.

Speed things up and you INHERENTLY get thinness and tinniness.

Comment

thanks eddie! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
      Hear the universe scream
      Whom horns careless
      And whom God mourns

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] No problem! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Did it work? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I gave instructions for my version of Windows Media Player 9, but I think the latest update is Windows Media Player 10 which I've been too lazy to update to. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Weird. I have Media Player 9 and the option doesn't show up in the menu. The help file tells me the same thing as you (View -> Enhancements -> Play Speed Settings) but it's not there. [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img]

Comment

Oh. Apparently, this is only available if you're running Windows XP. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I just stupidly assumed that everyone had Windows XP or the equivalent by now. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Sorry. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Yeah, I'm stubbornly clinging to Windows 2K. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

for some odd reason, the option is there but won't work. i guess i may just have do some reading or something huh? goddamnit its saturday! [img]/images/graemlins/baby.gif[/img]
                  Hear the universe scream
                  Whom horns careless
                  And whom God mourns

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    for some odd reason, the option is there but won't work. i guess i may just have do some reading or something huh? goddamnit its saturday! [img]/images/graemlins/baby.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

The help says that it only works for certain media types. They don't tell you what media types it works on, though. [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

You might try converting (or re-ripping) the songs in a different format.

Comment

hey eddie, thanks again so much. i'll be returning the tascam to guitar center (walmart) for sure. that free software is just so much cheaper! new question, i need a good metronome to run through my line 6 xt live. i like to practice through the headphones and i was plugging the tascam thing into the line 6 and using its metronome. but i'll obviously need a new one now and i'm sure theres gotta be something good out there for under $150.00! something very programable with extra features perhaps? and something that doesn't hurt yor ears through the headphones! anyone? hurry up already i don't have all day! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] you rock eddie
                      Hear the universe scream
                      Whom horns careless
                      And whom God mourns

Comment

You have to rip it first do use the WM 1/2 speed play option. You had best rip to WMA Lossless if you don't want the 1/2 speed to sound like crap.

If you want something more functional, Transkriber at reedkotler.com costs $49. The transcribers at Guitar One mag use that software. It's cool as it lets you pitch shift to standard tuning before slowing down. Also allows you to loop bits so you can play along over and over until you nail the phrase.
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

thanks bro, that was one of the options (looping) i didn't want to lose if i return the tascam. so i just need the ultimate metronome!
                          Hear the universe scream
                          Whom horns careless
                          And whom God mourns

Comment

My brother uses www.metronomeonline.com (free, quick, and simple) for his practicing. I personally use the metronome built into my Guitar Pro software (www.guitar-pro.com) for my timekeeping.

As you can see, I am KING CHEAPASS and try to maximize whatever poor man's resources I already have. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

thanks again bro, we gotta save money any way we can. how else are we gonna be able to afford all these damn guitars?!
                              i also found this link here...
                              http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/cat/METRONOMES/
                              Hear the universe scream
                              Whom horns careless
                              And whom God mourns

Comment

Working...
                              X