Tips for amateur

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for amateur

Hi,I have been playing guitar for 2 years and all that time I played my acoustic in this music school. They dont teach any electric instruments there and I recently joined my friends metal band. I have my Jackson coming soon and you know,its very hard to play Children Of Bodom with acoustic (if you have been playing for only 2 years). The other band members can like play anything they want from all jazz and classic to Steve Vai and Jimi Hendrix. I am the only one who cant. Now,I am starting to learn something more hard but I have some problems with these. Heres something I listed.

1.How long should I practise in one day(so there would be time for something else too)?
    2.What kind of excersises should I use?
    3.Tips for riffs (hard,easy,slow,fast)?
    4.Tips for solos and melody (hard,easy,slow,fast)?
    5.How to be more precise (picking,solos etc.)?
    6.How do I do all the different kind of harmonics (I know only the natural)?
    7.Are the Jackson JS series any good?

So thats it I think. Please help this amateur over here. If you wanna know,I use Cuenca acoustics.

Re: Tips for amateur

1. As long as it feels comfortable.
    2. Stretch before you practice. There are 1000 posts in this section with finger excersizes.
    3. Whatever style of music you want to play is what you should practice.
    4. Same as 3
    5. Practice.
    6. Someone else can explain that one, I don't have the time(show tonight, gotta fix the amp)
    7. I don't think so. I'd get a used Charvel Model 2 for the same price on eBay. Better guitar and no depreciation.

Comment

I would personally play some Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden and stuff like that to practice riffing. Eventhough COB riffs aren't that much harder (if at all).

I recommend you check out www.cyberfret.com for further tech questions.

Artificial harmonics are basically 'pinch harmonics', you pinch the string with your thumb miliseconds after hitting the string producing a squeal.
      You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Thanks guys [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Well I'll have to ask this. I am buying my first Jackson in these coming days and I can also practise with my big brothers new Gibson Les Paul. My first Jackson would be the JS30RR and I have read some comments on it.

Well,the people said that its very good compared to many same priced guitars. But as it is my first own electric guitar,would it be a good starter Jackson?

And which of these is the best neck option? Maple,ebony or rosewood?

Comment

It's definitly adequate as a starter's guitar!

Being a beginner, you really shouldn't bother about stuff such as woods, yet.

Maple, ebony and rosewood as fretboardwoods, combined with different body and neck woods will give you different and varying tonal characteristics.

What's best is based purely on a subjective process of playing and choosing what you like best, over years and years.

For now, just get to playing and have fun!
          You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Thanks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] You have been a big help!

Comment

If possible, break up your practice time to twice a day and half as much - if you are going to play an hour a day, then do 30 minutes in the morning if you can and 30 in the evening. Never play anything too fast that you lose control... keep it nice and slow until you can play it precisely, then speed it up.

Learn the music YOU want to learn, not what your parents, friends or neighbors want. Or us, for the matter. Please yourself. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

Right,thanks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Tips for amateurs?
                  Heres a real good insightful tip and you might wanna write down. This will be the most important piece of information you will hear, not only as an amateur but also as a seasoned experienced player.

Ready?

Just play the thing.
                  You'll do well if you do this.
                  Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

I can't see it. Theres just a big space...I tried to load the page for a few times but it doesnt work.

Comment

listen to lots of music to open your ears to melody,that also includes other styles.

set yourself goals when learning-you will never master it all or indeed even a tiny fraction of what there is to play

But you dont have too-as long as you have a strong base for tech and a good grasp of scales and harmony then there is no reason why you cant play anything you want too

Comment

I too have been playing guitar for just under two years, but luckily started out with metallica riffs and such......if you play it, it will come. Just practice all the time and forget about doing anything else, cause when it comes down to it guitar is whats best in life! If you dont already have one, look around where you live for good shred guitar teachers. They are like gold when youre just starting. But most of all make sure you have fun.....if it gets boring and you want to stop go eat and come back to it. I probably sound like a tool seeing as im a noob to the guitar and all, but this stuff has really worked for me.
                        www.soundclick.com/matthewpigott

Comment

Get a good guitar that you don't have to fight. I hate it when people come to me asking me to teach them and their guitar sucks. If you can't play your guitar easily, it makes it harder. After you get better, I actually recommend getting a piece of shit guitar as it will help you build your chops.

Play different styles. Each genre has its strong points. The more you learn, the more you can apply to your own technique.

Comment

Working...
                          X