FInger Independency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FInger Independency

How do i get my Pinky and the finger next to it to be more independent? They seem to stick together when I use them on a

10 - 12 - 13 part.

Re: FInger Independency

Mike,
    Abuse the hell out of them individually. Do you have Troy Stetina's Speed Mechanics book? That will get all your fingers into shape for sure.
    You can do hammer-on and pull-off exercises to build strength and muscle memory where you alternate just your pinky (ex. 1-4), or just your third finger (ex. 1-3) all up and down the strings... if that makes sense.

Goodluck. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    Em

Comment

Do third finger and pinky exercises just using these two fingers.
      PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Practicing the shocker on a regular basis will definitely help build independence, endurance, and strength in the pinky.

Comment

chromatics and JP's rock discipline worked for me.
          You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            How do i get my Pinky and the finger next to it to be more independent? They seem to stick together when I use them on a

10 - 12 - 13 part.

[/ QUOTE ]

Beat them into submission. Worked for me. Of course, now I look like a circus freak but those lil' fookers know their place now.... kinda. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Seriously, everyone's suggestions come down to one thing - exercises geared towards independent use. I still fight with mine sometimes, especially if what I'm practicing for 2-3 days straight doesn't involve separation of the two. I've only been learning/practicing solos and the mechanics involved for a short time now and my ring/pinky finger were joined at the hip when I first started.
            My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

The 3rd finger and pinky but more so the pinky are for the most part, the more difficult finger/s to train and develop.
              Don't be discouraged this sort of thing takes time to really notice a difference.

As it has already been mentioned, "videos" regardless of who the artist is, can provide some additional insight.
              Myself, I used the chromatic exercise and still do occasionally, to loosen up. Its old school and very boring but worth its weight in gold.

I choose/chose 5/6/7/8 frets and any string to get things a rolling. Hammer on and off the 1st and 2nd finger while keeping my other two fingers as close as possible to the fret board without touching. Like wise, repeat this with the 3rd finger and pinky. Do this on or with various strings...even do some string skipping.
              Overall this in itself is a very good effective excerise.
              Be paitient and in time the pay off will be very noticeable.
              Theres a reason its tough using this particular excerise. It has no mercy, it definitely exposes the weaker fingers and at the same time will strengthen them.

Also, just include the pinky more when playing this helps as well.
              Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Email me if you want and I can send you some exercises on instab specifically for your pinky and third finger.

I have them tabbed out.

You can download instab off of harmony-central.
                PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

george lynch recommends playing with your index finger behind the neck and then just using you 2nd,3rd,4th,5th fingers to fret scales. also, do the same technique to hammer on the scale patterns.

another drill: do hammer/pull off on 2 consecutive frets with your ring finger and pinky. your strength will build fast.

Comment

If you have one finger behind the neck how do you use 4 other fingers to fret scales? Or is that including your thumb?
                    http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Put only your index finger behind the neck.
                      Use your 2nd, 3rd and pinky fingers to play with.
                      Its on one of his(Geo.Lynch)guitar videos, which one not sure.
                      Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

maybe warbird has 6 fingers on his fret hand? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

so with your thumb in it's usual position, and your index finger joining it behind the neck, fret scales with the remaining 4: your middle, ring, pinky & superfluous finger. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I do remember him mentioning that in Guitar World lesson in the early 90s. He also mentioned running 2-note-per-string shapes with just your 2nd & 3rd fingers, and again with just your 3rd & 4th
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Put only your index finger behind the neck.
                          Use your 2nd, 3rd and pinky fingers to play with.
                          Its on one of his(Geo.Lynch)guitar videos, which one not sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't need to put your first finger behind the neck if you dont want to.

But using just your 2nd 3rd and pinky are an excellent way to develop finger technique. I do them every single day as a start of my warm up exercises.

I can now play as fast with my 2nd finger and pinky up and down the neck as I can with my 1st and 3rd finger. But it takes a freakin long time and a lot of practice to be able to do this.
                          PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

I "think" the reason why GL wants you to put the index behind the neck is because otherwise the tendency when you play with the other 3 exclusively is to stick out your index finger straight out very stiffly. And this will introduce unnecessary tension in your fretting hand.

If you can learn to gently lay your non-fretting index on the fretboard and relax your fretting hand while you're fretting with the other 3, then that's ok too I would think.
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

Thanks for all the info! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X