playing with emotion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: playing with emotion

I way too high right now for "clever"... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      I kind of equate "Emotion" ..with "vocal"

Like most of Randy's solos ...you can sing them..Its just like singing..it could be happy , sad , angry , crazy..

I was just listening to Frank Marino and Mahagony Rush live (1978) ..that part in "who do you love" where he is just singing in perfect pitch with his guitar (like Hendrix) and then just lets it rip...as fast and clean as any of the best Zakk Wylde..

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just listening to that last night too.
      The lead he does on Dragonfly is a good example of playing with feel (at least to me it is). H
      e's not shredding but every note is perfect, it just screams when he shifts to G!
      That is a classic, classic album [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
      If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Dude Frank Marino was really my first guitar hero...I discovered him right before Eddie came out...

Frank Marino and Mahagony Rush Live ...man..I was obsessed with that album..I had the vinyl...the 8 track...the cassette...and now ALL his stuff on CD...except for that last live one he just put out..

I emailed him years ago...he must have been bored because he emailed me back.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I saw him Live three times...The last time i went to go see him , the turn out sucked and he cancelled the show ...what a terrible shame...there was less than 20 people there..this was back in early 90's..when NOBODY gave a crap about guitar...guitar was NON exist in popular music then...and it stayed that way until just recently

my bro John (CM) plays with a lot of "feel"...well he's a touchy / feely kinda guy...ala Criss Oliva ...some Vinnie Moore..

I come from the Zakk / Dime / Kerry King school of spazzzz....well because I'm a spaz. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I think "personality" realy shines thru your playing style..I think.
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Same here Bill, Jimmy Page then , Frank Marino.
          then after them came (to me anyway) Jeff Beck , EVH, Robin Trower,
          then all of the 80's shredders.
          those 5 guys molded my early playing.
          If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

About personality and playing style.
            It is DAMN hard to develop your playing style so everyone can reconize you.
            I have just sat down and thought how can I play so that I wouldn't sound like the other players and everyone reconizes me.
            And I have camed up with some "tricks" so I would sound like me. But I don't tell what kinda "tricks" they are because somone may stole them [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            I will try to discover more "my signature tricks" because I'm all about being unique.
            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              [ QUOTE ]
              The trick to playing with emotion is to figure out the best time to be spontaneous. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry for quoting myself...but didn't anyone get the joke? damn, i thought it was pretty clever...

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I laughed my ass off, George. And, yes, it was damn clever. I've now added it to my list of possible signature lines to use whenever I grow weary of the non-PC one I have now.
              My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Criss Oliva = Emotion + Technique

RIP Criss

[/ QUOTE ]

yep, he was one of the best from this area, and is sorely missed. this is what happens when you get broadsided from a drunk driver...and criss was sober!

playing with feel is a tough one...sometimes you either have it or you don't. i'm lucky in that from the very beginning, i had a sort of ability to make sounds other people enjoyed hearing, really...nothing other than that.

yngwie has some AMAZING feel. i've sat down with him and jammed, and he just flat TORE UP red house...as bluesy as anybody...that is, until the sweep picking came in...

feel and emotion has nothing to do with speed.

why are lynch and demartini so good in my book? because both had flash + feel + emotion + MELODY

practice, practice, practice....try to copy other instruments with the guitar, like sax players or arabic singers, or ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE GUITAR.

mentally, learn to let "go" and realize that if you reach the higher levels of playing, it is not "you" doing it, but "it" doing itself THROUGH you...slightly mystical, but some of you will know what i mean....

i always play better when i'm really pissed off....why is that???

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Same here Bill, Jimmy Page then , Frank Marino.
                  then after them came (to me anyway) Jeff Beck , EVH, Robin Trower,
                  then all of the 80's shredders.
                  those 5 guys molded my early playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

frank marino....oh yeah! the live album scorched my ears when i was 12....i thought frank was so much better than hendrix. at least he was in tune....ahem.

saw him live on one of those "monsters of rock" shows with a dozen bands. he played an SG barefoot....and tore it up! i was never the same.

same thing with trower....got the "bridge of sighs" album and was never the same.

first influential album was "fresh cream"...i wore that record out learning those clapton licks.

beck, hendrix, BILLY GIBBONS, angus young, and the 80s guns...i also like the textural guys like The Edge from U2,
                  Jamie from The FIXX, Andy Summers was a big influence too.

and country guys like chet atkins, vince gill, marty stuart, eddy shaver (country forcefed to a marshall amp with a hot coffee enema), steve earle (more metal than most metal was), etc.

NYC freaks like Chris Whitley, David Torn, Elliot Sharp, Marc Ribot, Bill Frisell, etc.

And of course Eric Johnson. pure hear, pure mind, pure tone...just stop him from singing :-)

Comment

To sound soulful or to sound or bring out the emotion as its being put. One should have the common/basic skills to draw from to allow the emotion to come through. This is the very backbone of playing, of any style, must know enough about the instrument (preferrably how to play it well) mostly is comprised of technique. If one doesn't have a pool or reservior of tools(the aresnal)to draw from, its wishful thinking otherwise.

MSG? Indeed, he is one of the most soulful 80's gun I heard play and he just keeps getting more refined each time I hear something from him. Truly one of a kind, it least to me.

Vai? Yep, a good descrition, he's definitely not of this world. What comes from out of him, I think in part not entirely, may have to do with his years he spent with Frank Zappa. Nonetheless, simply stated, Vai is a geneous.

Country? Albert Lee is the Vai of country, the man is souful with nearly everything he plays. Impeccable country player. Ones got to either see him live(hard to do anymore)or get a video to really have a sense of appreciation for what he does. Like Vai he's in a league of his own.

Eddie? Most know writing in/with a major, gives that notorious happy, peppy, joyful sound/feel to it.
                    Like playing in a minor gives it that notorious sad, angry, dark sound to it. Most know Eddie wrote all the early stuff (Dave era) in major and played leads in minor. None of his rythmn stuff never seemed to strike me as emotional, besides the fact major = happy. However, his leads did have emotion written all over them. Even though, at some point you knew and could predict he was gonna do some right hand hammer on's during a lead, and thats what got old really quick. Nonetheless, his implentation of that technique was tasteful.
                    Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Dude Frank Marino was really my first guitar hero...

[/ QUOTE ]

Got my tickets to see Frank in June at BB Kings place in NYC. Can't wait. [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
                      Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Comment

Steve Vai, John Petrucci and David Gilmour (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) top the list in my book.

I always emply shitloads of bends/vibrato/ring-outs and slides in my playing, they envoke emotion when used right.
                        You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          To sound soulful or to sound or bring out the emotion as its being put. One should have the common/basic skills to draw from to allow the emotion to come through. This is the very backbone of playing, of any style, must know enough about the instrument (preferrably how to play it well) mostly is comprised of technique. If one doesn't have a pool or reservior of tools(the aresnal)to draw from, its wishful thinking otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't agree more.

Some people may feel a lot of emotion when they are playing. Yet that emotion will not come through when they listen to themselves play because they don't have the techniques developed to express that emotion.

This topic I think comes down to having the technique to express, communitcate and evoke emotion to the listener - which could be argued to be a subjective subject.

You could feel all the emotion in the world but if you play like crap you will sound like crap. You have to develop the skills and techniques to express yourself.

I don't see it as a matter of whose music you are playing - another bands or your own, or a question of originality. It all comes down to being proficient enough on the guitar with your technique to express and evoke emotion. Yes your own personal style is involved but I think it gets more down to the number of variations of vibrato you have developed, the voicings, slides, harmonics, slurs, etc...

I have not listened a lot to Uli Roth so the best I have heard or the guy that moves me the most with his emotional and melodic playing is Michael Schenker.

I much prefer to hear a guy that can evoke emotion out of the listener and express emotion to the listener with feel and technique and great vibrato than to hear a guy that plays 240 bpm constantly.

I have listened to many shredders who are just down right boring after about 2 minutes of listening to them.
                          PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

in the words of Randy Rhoads- "a good way of seeing if someone has feeling in their playing is to put an acoustic in their hands"
                            Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              in the words of Randy Rhoads- "a good way of seeing if someone has feeling in their playing is to put an acoustic in their hands"

[/ QUOTE ]

ah men bro!
                              PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X