question about bridges and picking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about bridges and picking

I have a question about different types of bridges and picking. My main guitar is an RR-1 with a floyd. I play mainly standing up, and I have been having a lot of difficulty picking. I have found that my picking is very sloppy and inconsistent. On the other hand, when I play my acoustic (standing) I can pick like mad. I have wonderful control over the pick, and I can consistently pick. (The pick does what I tell it to do). I am wondering if perhaps the different types of bridges have an effect on picking. I have tried adjusting where my hands sits on the bridge of my RR, but it does not seem to help. I pick up my acoustic and everything feels wonderful....If anyone could shed some light on this, I would appreciate it very much. Thanks,

Zach
    Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
    The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Re: question about bridges and picking

BTW, I forgot to mention I have long monkey arms, which really leaves no place for me to rest my right arm. I think, since the acoustic is obviously bigger, my arm has a place to rest. This isolates my wrist, which allows me to pick comfortably and naturally.

Comment

There ya go!

Comment

So if it is the shape/size of the guitar that is causing the problem, what should I do? I love the rr (it was a graduation present from my dad.. would be very hard to get rid of) but I feel it is difficult for me to play. I owned an import kelly a while back that felt pretty good.. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Comment

I dunno, if the long wing of the RR isn't big enough I guess you could try a Warrior. Not sure if that's going to help anything though.

Comment

Practice,practice and practice-that is the point IMHO.When I began playing the electric guitar(after the classic instrument) it was really difficult for me to adapt my right hand.Really,as you've mentioned it,RR can be played upright,because it is a real headache to play it when you're sittingI'm sure you play well enough even now and I appreciate your self-criticism.You can change your Randy as you are advised,but it doesn't really matter-the problem solving is in you,man

Comment

don't give up on the RR. i don't play mine often; and when i do i feel sloppy at first because it doesn't have the meaty body like a soloist. best thing to do is start picking slowly and accurately, then build up speed. once you get it you won't look back.

Comment

My guess is that it is string tension that is your problem. Your acoustic has heavier strings and increased string tension which makes it easier to pick more precise. I would suggest adding a spring to your Floyd and increasing the gauge size. Raising up the action a little might help too. Use heavy picks too.

Comment

Yeah don't give up on it man.

I doubt it's the body shape causing the problem. If your technique is sound the body shape should only be a matter of getting used to.

Sounds like your dad is a great one. If my dad gave me a guitar for a present I'd keep it forever, not matter how good or bad it is. And he gave you an RR1 man! c'mon

Comment

Ya my dad rocks! He bought me the rr when I graduated and a nice acoustic a while back. We go to bars all the time cuz he knows a lot of blues players around here. I am going to practice like mad with my rr to see if I can get used to heavier strings....

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      My guess is that it is string tension that is your problem. Your acoustic has heavier strings and increased string tension which makes it easier to pick more precise. I would suggest adding a spring to your Floyd and increasing the gauge size. Raising up the action a little might help too. Use heavy picks too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doing this and some practice should get you tightened up on that Jackson in no time.

Comment

Working...
                      X