keys or theory ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• keys or theory ?

I'm not quit sure what I'm asking, but lately I've been recording my self on guitar tracks, and I can get a pretty good rhythm track laid down but when I put a lead over the top the technique is pretty good but it just doesn't sound right. Granted I have no theory knowledge and don't understand key's (I'm assuming I'm not playing in the same key as the rhythm). I was wondering if anybody could shed some light on this or lead me in the direction to learn about it in simple terms. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Re: keys or theory ?

Just start moving your lead pattern up or down the fretboard. Start with one phrase that you like. Where does it sound good? Then the next phrase. I think you'll get much farther by trusting your ears than learning theory. See my post on Crazy Train. All the theory in the world can't help you one bit in playing that song well.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

I'd have to disagree completely. If you're not playing other people's songs (and sometimes even if you are), knowing theory helps a ton. Sure you can just try to figure it all out by yourself, I mean there are only 12 different notes right? But I think it's rather ineffecient to ignore the vast amount of work that's already been done by others.

Comment

Well, it sounded like paige already developed some cool riffs and lead lines and was having trouble fitting them harmonically with some rhythm tracks that he laid down. All I was suggesting was just moving these patterns up and down the fretboard against his rhythym track and just having fun with it.

Plus, without knowing what riffs he wrote, I didn't want to steer him down the theory path, cuz some riffs are simply symmetrical patterns, sound super cool when played fast, yet make no sense theory wise.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

After looking at the crazy train thread I can see what your are saying, If it sounds good it is good, but what happends with me is I can make pretty good riffs and leads and they sound alright, but since I'm ignorrant I second guess everything that I play. Does this make any sense?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            I was suggesting was just moving these patterns up and down the fretboard against his rhythym track and just having fun with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's actually a great idea, theory or not. But to really understand why certain things work better (or differently) than others, you really have to either learn theory from someone or practice long enough (years) to develop that same theory on your own.

Comment

i agree theory is important, but developing good ears is ust as important. a good exercise is to solo over the same chord (i.e. no progression) so you can see how the notes of a scale interact with the chord. once you feel comfortable with how these licks sound, try them over the rest of the chords in the progression...all the notes may be "proper", but that doesn't mean it will sound "good". anyway, jamming over backing tracks is the best way to progress, so keep it up...

Comment

Working...
              X