Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tascam cd-gt1...word of warning

picked one of these off of ebay.

it can pitch shift: if a guitar is tuned to Eb on a song, you can raise the pitch of the song a 1/2 step so the guitar on the song is now in standard tuning. Without messing with the tempo of the song.

it can slow down stuff to 1/2 speed without changing the pitch.

But it can't do both at the same time! You can't adjust the pitch then slow down. They're mutually exclusive operations. [img]/images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Re: tascam cd-gt1...word of warning

Yah, I picked one up thinkin it can do them both at the same time and was surprised at the least. Still a great lil tool though, figured out a cple songs with it

Comment

yeah, I noticed that too..but it's still great to have. Now if I ever figure out the rest of it....

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] You kids are spoiled! In my day you just listened to the damn song and figured it out. No halfspeed stuff, no reliable tab, no rock or metal guitar teachers. You were on your own. Now you have all these wonderful tools and you still have complaints?
        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

LOL lerx..good point. We used to have to listen to it on vinyl too. It was hard to find the exact spot to drop the needle to get to the right part..wore out many copies of many songs (and still can't play any of them) [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

umm....yea....i bet back in your day the songs were not as fast and technically advanced as todays metal [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

i mean, yes, i could figure out stuff like early judas priest, black sabbath, saxon etc. without slowing down....but i CAN'T figure out stuff like cannibal corpse - frantic disembowelment at the original speed ^^ but then again, maybe my ears suck? ^^

Comment

I can do both with a computer program called Chronotron. It plugs straight into Windows Media Player or Winamp. Search for a torrent file that has the crack, and you will be a happy musician. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Take a look at the CD-GT1mkII. It's been in a few ads as of late and Harmony Central has a press release about it. Looks like it can slow and change pitch now.

CD-GT1mkII
                http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  LOL lerx..good point. We used to have to listen to it on vinyl too. It was hard to find the exact spot to drop the needle to get to the right part..wore out many copies of many songs (and still can't play any of them) [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

C'mon - you mean to tell me you didn't have a record player that was so old it had all four speeds of 16, 33, 45, and 78?

A speed of 16 cut a 33 1/3 album down one octave (close enough anyway).

Now THAT'S old school.

- E>
                  Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

C'mon - you mean to tell me you didn't have a record player that was so old it had all four speeds of 16, 33, 45, and 78?

A speed of 16 cut a 33 1/3 album down one octave (close enough anyway).

Now THAT'S old school.

- E>

[/ QUOTE ] You ain't kidding, that's old school. That's how I learned the intro to "I'm Going Home" way back in the day. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    Scott
                    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      umm....yea....i bet back in your day the songs were not as fast and technically advanced as todays metal [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

i mean, yes, i could figure out stuff like early judas priest, black sabbath, saxon etc. without slowing down....but i CAN'T figure out stuff like cannibal corpse - frantic disembowelment at the original speed ^^ but then again, maybe my ears suck? ^^

[/ QUOTE ]
                      Yeah, you're prolly right. We (us old guys) only had to figure out Rhoads, VH, Vai, Satch, Yngwie, Gilbert, McAlpine, Becker, Freidman, Howe, Lifeson - by ear. And then tab it all out so you young turks could complain about how easy it is...
                      [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                      750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                      Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
                        Yeah, you're prolly right. We (us old guys) only had to figure out Rhoads, VH, Vai, Satch, Yngwie, Gilbert, McAlpine, Becker, Freidman, Howe, Lifeson - by ear. And then tab it all out so you young turks could complain about how easy it is...
                        [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

+1

Comment

I picked one up back in November and returned it a week later. It seemed like it would be a really useful tool. But a song would get really muddy when you slowed it down (especially at -50%), it wouldn't play burned CDs too well, and the problem mentioned here about not being able to pitch shift and slow down. But the biggest problem was being able to hear your guitar! I was using headphones and would have the input at 10 and couldn't hear my own guitar when I was trying to play along with something. I did see the ad in the newest GW for the mkII, hopefully it's better.
                          Instead, I got the amazing slow downer software and it is MUCH better!
                          Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

Obviously it's going to get muddy at 50%. Most/all slow-downers are like that. You're changing the whole structure of the sound coming out of it. Same with the pitch-shifting aspect.

What I do is I stick with Chronotron. It's a FREE DOWNLOAD if you know where to look... wink wink. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Since it's on my COMPUTER, I can easily re-EQ the sound and make it sound like it naturally does in standard tuning and regular speed. I primarily use it for listening purposes, though... it's fun to hear what other songs sound like in different tunings. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

For my learning purposes, I stick to Guitar Pro 4 (also a FREE DOWNLOAD if you know where to look) which is run off MIDI so you can change speed/pitch without ANY sound degradation, and you can isolate any of the tracks to hear things more clearly or to play the solo in place of the lead guitar. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Damn Alex....you are the man! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                              X