Bass playing Qs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bass playing Qs

Alright guys Im thinking of getting a bass.
    Just a few questions.
    When Ive been knocking around on basses I previously found myself playing it like an accoustic guitar, that is, thumb for the low E (four string) and fingers for the rest. This is wrong, right?
    If I was to play this Carcass-esque mid paced riff I made up (the only one I can think of with this kinda technique in);

G|----------------------|
    D|----------------------|
    A|----2-3-2-1-3--------|
    E|-0-0-0-0-0-0-2h3p2-0-|

would I right in thinking that im to play the E string notes with my index finger and the A string notes with my middle finger? Or am I missing the point completely?...

Also, is playing with my ring finger (3 finger gallop etc) really worth doing? Id be playing thrash and death and that sort of stuff.

Any other hints of what is different to guitar?
    How long is it before the strings stop tearing your fingers to sh*t? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    The whole 'thumbrest' thing, should my hand on the guitar be in the position of 'Thing' off the Addams Family when he's walking? Like this-

----*--- little finger
    --*----- ring finger
    *----*-- middle finger and thumb
    -*------ index finger

(the dashes dont mean anything they're just to space the asterisks out)

Thanks guys

James

Re: Bass playing Qs

The two illustrated questions are about right hand technique by the way! Forgot to add that [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Mr. White ...just get your ass over my house where we we dive into the world of radioactive bass techniques...

you'll be kickin carcass' ass in no time...I promise.. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Typically, you will use two fingers, your index and your middle finger, when playing. You alternate back and forth between them for every note, no matter what string it is on. For example, in your riff, you would simply alternate index - middle - index - middle, etc.

G|----------------------|
        D|----------------------|
        A|----2-3-2-1-3--------|
        E|-0-0-0-0-0-0-2h3p2-0-|
        ----i-mimimimimim------i--|

Having said that, I don't play thrash, so maybe Bill can offer some other advice; but for most genres of music, the above two finger approach is standard. It wouldn't work for Dream Theater, but it works fine for Rush, Queensryche, Trans-siberian Orchestra, and the like.

As far as right hand position, when playing on the low E and A, your thumb will rest on the pickup. When playing on the D, your thumb shifts down and rests on the E. When playing on the G, your thumb shifts down again and rests on the A string, while simultaneously leaning against the E. This technique will keep the unplayed strings from ringing.

- E.
        Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

Thats a great tip about resting my fingers on the strings. Thanks man.
          Bill - I dont live in the states!!!

James

Comment

You're welcome.

You would probably benefit from a few lessons from a GOOD bass instructor. Even two lessons to help you with technique will help you achieve a much higher level of proficiency than if you start out with a lot of bad habits.

My instructor is a Berklee grad, so he's great about making sure my technique is correct - a very good thing.

- E.

Comment

check out Billy Sheehan on the Steve Vai Live at Astoria DVD. That man is a freak on the bass!

YOu can also use a pick with your bass, but it gives a different sound than playing with your fingers...

Comment

Don't start by using a pick. Learn to use your fingers first, then use a pick if you want. In a year, it will be easier to go from fingers to pick than from pick to fingers.

Comment

Thats what I thought. I didnt want to learn something new, the wrong way. Not that playing with a pick is wrong, but you know what I mean. Didnt want to limit myself.
                  Im thinking of getting lessons too. Maybe just a couple. Hell, Bass might even take over guitar in my life, who knows!

James

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    ...Im thinking of getting lessons too. Maybe just a couple. Hell, Bass might even take over guitar in my life, who knows!

James

[/ QUOTE ]

Even a few lessons will benefit you; I highly recommend it.

I played guitar for almost 20 years, and I bought a bass rig for fun. For the past year, I have played bass almost exclusively; I take lessons, practice almost every night, and play bass when I jam with some local guys.

I still play some guitar, but right now I am trying to really get proficient on the bass.

Bass is fun, and a very powerful instrument in regards to how the choice of notes affects the feel of the song. Check out www.talkbass.com , which is a great forum for bassists. They have some great sections on technique that you may find interesting.

- E.

Comment

If there local acts in your area, try finding a good bass player and picking their brain. Offer to buy them a beer or something like that and ask for some tips on bass playing. I've not spent a dime on bass lessons and I've done this a ton of times.. Most of the time bass players are willing to talk until they're blue in the face about technique.

Taking lessons is always great but if you work long hours it can be a hassle.

Comment

Bass is fun. I haven't had a bass in years and finally just bought one like last week. I wish I never traded my old one in. I've always played bass just as much as guitar. To me, it's just as fun. Just different. "Long live Victor Wooten!"

Comment

If you can get index, middle, ringer finger going, then you are a freak of nature in a good way. My small brain can only get my index and middle finger working together. Pick is cool if you can't get the fingers to work. A lot of top bass players primarily use pick. On a different note, I've read that some bass players play the low E string with the thumb when doing fingerstyle. But you're definitely playing the low E with your thumb if you're doing funk styles.

+1 on AlexL's thumb position lesson.

Would enjoy a Bill Z Bub bass lesson clinic, cuz I'm mostly a hack on the bass.
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

I generally use a pick, but I'll pluck some notes or chords when I need to accentuate differently. Sometimes the attack of the pick with chords won't ring out properly, or I have to jump a few strings and pluck notes along with tremolo picking my lines.

Definitely do whatever you feel most comfortable with. I really can't play fingers, but I would like to... I don't practice them enough... It's WAY tough at like 180-200 bpm.
                            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

oh, and if you're going to woodshed long hours with your fingers, get some flat wounds...much easier on the fingers.
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

Working...
                              X