Who Shred's w/ 12's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who Shred\'s w/ 12\'s

Try 12's on a compound radius neck with full scalloping. Totally effortless! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I'm thinking of trying 12's myself. My acoustic has 13's on it, and I can play that pretty effortlessly with enough practice and warming up.

Comment

On my Mod6 I use DR 10-46, tuned down a full step to D, it plays like it should play, and trem stuff and bends are still effortless.

Comment

I use D'Addario EXL 145's 12-54 for shred and rythem.

Comment

Putting 12s on your guitar doesnt make playing fast any harder it just makes bending and vibrato more work. I really dont care for the sound of 12s or 13s when Im using alot of gain. I only like them for that SRV thing. I usually just stick to 10s or 11s.

Comment

Bigger strings give you more output and overdrive your preamp even more. I love my 12's, anything smaller feels girlie to me.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Bigger strings give you more output and overdrive your preamp even more. I love my 12's, anything smaller feels girlie to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

A friend of mine actually uses 13's for E tuning and he shreds like hell! I have no idea of how he manages to bend strings without breaking his fingers off.

Comment

I used to play 10's, 11's, and 12's over the years. Years of typing like my high school typing teacher told me not to has changed all that. These days it's 9-46. Except my baritone Tele - I still do 14's on that because it's tuned to A.
                    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose these days I'm trying to get in touch with my feminine side then [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                      I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Can I touch your feminine side Tim? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Comment

Somebody define "shred".

I always thought that shredding was soloing pretty fast, something like Malmsteen, Vinnie moore, Paul Gilbert... etc...

I read that Malmsteen uses 8-48 on his guitars.

No offense Ace but you might be giving people the wrong idea about using 12's because you don't solo if I remember correctly.

I use 9's or 10's depending on the guitar.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Somebody define "shred".

I always thought that shredding was soloing pretty fast, something like Malmsteen, Vinnie moore, Paul Gilbert... etc...

I read that Malmsteen uses 8-48 on his guitars.

No offense Ace but you might be giving people the wrong idea about using 12's because you don't solo if I remember correctly.

I use 9's or 10's depending on the guitar.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly my thoughts....

I´m certainly not the slowest player, and I play 12s in standard tuning as well... but I have to admit that if I were stylistically more in a Vai/MacAlpine/Gambale vein I´d almost certainly use 11 + 15 for the e and b instead of 12 + 16, if not a lighter overall set (though I´m actually on my way back UP the guage ladder, so that may or man not hold in this purely theoretical context....) [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I use 11s on my Warrior tuned to Eb. Works just fine, as has already been said bending and vibrato is a little more work, but it pays off AFAIC. Improved my technique somewhat and finger strength as well, also it sounds a little fuller to my ears when soloing. Can't speak of a night&day difference though as far as thrash metal goes.
                              If you go down to 10s or 9s, you can pull off some bordering-insane vibrato and bending stuff too. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Not me...

Comment

Working...
                                X