Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

V-amp, POD, Stereo systems, and speakers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-amp, POD, Stereo systems, and speakers?

Hello guys. My question is more related to technical stuff, rather than technique itself. Basically, I have an extremely limited knowledge of amps, and pre-amps and amp modelers, like the V-Amp 2 or the POD 2.0. However, I'm extremely interested in using these modelers, due to their wide range of tone. So keeping in mind my stupidity, can you guys tell me how to do the following, and also suggest me better solutions, if any? Here is what I'd like to do:

1. Hooking up an amp modeler to regular speakers, or computer speakers. Anyone know, if this is possible, and if so, what kind of speakers, cables, adapters, would I need to achieve this?

2. Using a regular stereo system to amplify the guitar. In other words, hooking the guitar directly to a home stereo system. Anyone know how to acheive this, and what are the dos and don'ts to it?

The reason why I want to do these stupid things is because I really don't have enough money to buy an amp and effects processors. Rather, I would like to get all the tone varieties of an amp modeler, using either speakers or regular stereo.

3. Also, is there a way to play a guitar through a computer, rather than some stupid guitarport?

Sorry if these questions are stupid and a complete waste of time, I'm just trying to learn. Thank you for your time in advance. Peace.

Re: V-amp, POD, Stereo systems, and speakers?

Anyone? Thanks in advance!

Comment

Fragger, you can do both. I have the pod. To get the pod into your pc you need 1) a sound card and 2) a stereo cable. The cable should have a 1/8" plug going into the sound card in and the other end should split into two 1/4" plugs. One each goes into the pod's left and right outputs.

It's basically the same thing with your stereo. I ran mine through my tv using the left and right sound inputs that my son's game cube goes into.

Go to your local music store and tell them what you want. They will have the cable you need.
      "Yes,..that's when they used to shove a red hot spike in your peehole until you screamed "yes, yes, godammit ..you fuggin' dicks..I'm a witch..I am witch..you cocksuckers"" horns666

Comment

Alright, thanks a lot Frosty. Just one question, could I completely connect the POD to some speakers directly? If so, what would be a decent power, for practicing, and a bit of jamming, not real loud? In addition, is this kind of direct connection gonna kill the speakers, or etc? Thanks so much for your help!

Comment

You could get a cheap boom box that has RCA inputs. Or you could get some headphones. Or you could get some cheap powered speakers. That would work too. Or does your stereo have extra inputs? You could just use those. All you need is cables that go from RCA to 3/4 inch. You can get those from Radio Shack.

Comment

Thanks for your reply man. Doing this wouldn't hurt the amp or the guitar in anyway, would it? Thanks again!

Comment

No, it won't hurt it at all. The speakers do need to be powered somehow. I don't think there will be enough output from the pod to make non-powerd speakers work.
              "Yes,..that's when they used to shove a red hot spike in your peehole until you screamed "yes, yes, godammit ..you fuggin' dicks..I'm a witch..I am witch..you cocksuckers"" horns666

Comment

Computer speakers are typically powered. Try the Klipsch 2.1 set, which Worst Buy sells for $150 (you could probably get 'em cheaper online). I have 'em and love 'em with my Pod XT. It's the best guitar sound I've had yet, and it sounds WAY better than running my Pod into my power amp/Marshall 4x12.

In fact, if I ever get into a live band situation again, I'm going to seriously consider swapping my power amp/4x12 for 2 powered monitors, so I can let the Pod do its thing with no amp/cab coloration and also get a real stereo spread going (my 4x12 can run in stereo, but the speakers are right next to each other, so it doesn't add much).

Comment

Hey thank you guys so much for your replys. Special thanks to quiksilver for the elaborate response. You know if such is possible, it makes me wonder why people don't do this often. I mean you get way for vareity in tone with a POD or a Vamp, then why not use them more. Just wondering, as I have limited knowledge. Thanks again to everyone!

Comment

Yes, you will need some kind of an amp in front of the pod, it will more than likely not drive speakers. Amp can be a cheap stereo at a second hand store.

If you don't have extra inputs on your stereo, use a car adapter that allows you to hook up your CD player via the tape player. This will leave you with a 1/8" plug. You can buy an adapter that will allow you to convert it.

As for plugging directly into your computer, you can buy a convertor that takes a 1/4" and makes it into an 1/8". Use the microphone input on the back of your computer. This will allow you to use your computer speakers as an amp.

Comment

Thanks metallica rock! Just wondering though, why can't I hook up vamp or the POD directly to the speakers? I mean the vamp and the POD will serve as amps, right? I could be wrong dude, I mean that is why I asked the question in the first place. Thanks again for your input!

Comment

You can hook it directly to speakers as long as the speakers are powered. The pod or vamp doesn't put out enough signal to power the speakers by itself.

Comment

I understand that Frosty. Thanks for confirming the amplification of the vamp or the pod.

Comment

Working...
                          X