Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So is there such thing a Naturally Sucky?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So is there such thing a Naturally Sucky?

We all know there is Naturally talented people, is there naturally sucky? It seems like I can't get good at guitar. I can never play a song perfect no matter how slow I play the song. I still **** up. I've known a song for 2 years now, and my picking hand always locks at one part, or my finger slips.

Guitar is really starting to drag for me to the point where it depresses me when i mess up. I don't know what i'm doing wrong. The sucky part is I love guitar and I usually play for a good portion of the day since I don't really do much else.

How long did it take you guys to play very well. I've been playing since I was 16, and I'm 19 now and it just frustraites (sp) me when I see my friend able to figure out a song w/o even having it played at the time, or just play a really awesome metal song. He knows not much theory except for notes and I know some theory since I have taken lessons.

Re: So is there such thing a Naturally Sucky?

If you love it, nobody will care if you're "good" or not. I've been playing for four years now and I've hit numerous plateaus in my playing where I just cannot do something, then one day I manage to jump up to the next plateau. I'm now able to hear things instantly by ear and transcribe stuff, which is something I NEVER thought I could get the hang of. I am also able to improvise simple solo stuff, which is another thing I never thought I'd accomplish. But, you do have to keep it fun. Otherwise, it becomes a chore, like homework. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] So, I usually only play when I feel inspired, so consequently, I typically end up not playing until the weekend. And it's productive for me.

Comment

First off, you haven't been playing that long, so relax. I know a couple guys who became phenomenal guitar players after only 2 or 3 years of playing. They basically became hermits to get that good, that quickly.

You wanna get good really fast? Practice all freakin day, every day, whenever you have time to practice. No subsitute for that. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

As far as I'm concerned, there's no such thing as naturally talented or naturally sucky. People are all different, that's all there is to it. When it comes to hiring people for a band of mine, one of the last things I care about is if whether or not they're naturally talented. What if the guy/gal isn't serious and hardworking, or what if they don't get along with me? I'm much more concerned about things like that.

Comment

lol...yeah I think every player who has ever played is blessed with it, yes even the ones who are great now. You just have to learn at your own pace. The good thing is you sound like you have a passion for it so that is a great plus.

People learn at their own paces depending on how much time they put into it, more importantly, time practicing the right things. Perhaps you should look closely at the things you are practicing and focus on you areas of weakness. Perhaps take a few lessons and have a teacher identify them for you and get you on some sort of schedule.

As NOP stated there many peaks and valleys that players go through, if you stick to it, you'll be on a peak again. Try not to get frustrated too much, change your practice habits and it gets to be too much, turn it up to 11 and just have fun.
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

I have been playing for about thirteen years and I still suck, dude. But I love playing guitar, working on guitars, learning new riffs, guitar shopping, everything. Mind you, I never really "practice", but I jam along to CDs and sit on my front poirch with a beer and my acoustic and fiddle around. It is still fun. Just keep at it.

Comment

I've been playing since about 1986 or so, and I still suck! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Then again, like Etaeniura, I haven't really "practiced" much in a long time. I just play for my own enjoyment and learn some things by ear once in awhile or go through some tab books to keep up my speed, like old Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Iron Maiden. Sometimes I'll read through the tabs or the lessons in Guitar World and pick up some new things here and there. I think the only scales I remember are the Pentatonic and the Phrygian. [img]/images/graemlins/fart.gif[/img] Maybe I should dig out those old chord and scale/mode books again. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

This is how I look at it (caution: it's a little goofy)...I suck, and I know it. There are TONS of things I cannot play. But ya know what...there are MILLIONS of people in the world who have NEVER touched a guitar and can't play a lick...I am WAY better than ALL of them LOL... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

GOod way to look at it. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  I can never play a song perfect no matter how slow I play the song. I still **** up. I've known a song for 2 years now, and my picking hand always locks at one part, or my finger slips.

[/ QUOTE ]

Michael,
                  Perhaps change the thought that you have to be perfect. It seems to me that you're being rather hard on yourself, though I do not know any musician who isn't! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Stop it.

This part that you keep getting stuck on, why not change it to suit you? I bet you start to tense up when you're getting close to that evil part... you know what's coming and psych yourself out. Own that part- make it yours and you can beat it whether you change how its "supposed" to be played or not.

Everyone sucks when they're learning something new, no matter what it is and no matter how long they've been playing. Its already been said that people improve in different areas in their own time- that's true.
                  You can only compare yourself to yourself.
                  Everyone also goes through periods of frustration, but you can put that to good use instead of letting it beat you down. Its all in how you look at things.

I don't believe that in learning an instrument there is any time that it takes to become "good". It is a constantly evolving thing. You reach one plateau, you move onto the next one. Its like getting to know a person. You can't know everything about them in just a few years. And why would you want to?

Perhaps its time to sit down and remember why you picked up a guitar in the first place. You obviously have a passion- maybe its time to reconnect and let yourself be the musician that you are.

You still reading this? Chin up and go shred that axe already!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Em

Comment

Do you play Golf? I have had rounds that qualify for the special olympics that after I swear I'll never play again. It becomes more pain than pleasure. Then you may hit the one drive or sink a putt that keeps you coming back for more because it reminds you why you play in the first place. Don't beat your self up because you may not play a complete song with not mistakes. Just like I have to keep in mind that I'm not going to play the perfect round. Enjoy your good shots, I mean notes.
                    ...that taste like tart, lemon yogart

Comment

I think shawn lutz hit it on the head when he mentioned paying attention to 'what' you're practicing. Practice time can easily be wasted. 30 minutes of strict dedicated practice can accomplish more good than a few hours of noodling around.

Be careful not to continually play things that are at your current skill level... overshoot yourself a bit, but dont get frustrated... put the time in to refine your technique where you are weak... scales and excersises, as boring as they are to some, can help in refining your technique.

Set a schedule of strict practice... and play for fun whenever you have the chance. But as was said before, each person is different... and rome wasnt built in a day. So give it time, keep at it, and enjoy what you play... eventually if you're determined you will be able to shred with the best of them.

Comment

some are more "talented" than others. however, everyone is good at something and we all set impossible hurdles for ourselves. just because you can't play as fast as michael angelo or 2 hand tap like eddie or use crazy string skipping like paul gilbert doesn't mean you can't sound good. ex, you don't hear slash playing arpeggios, but he's pretty good. concentrate on playing in time with FEELING not FLASH. it doesn't have to be technical to be good. Develop your own style.

Comment

thanks a lot for the tips. i figured out one of my problems [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

i use the wrong type picks, lighter is much easier for me to pick and gallap.

i'll try to keep at it.

Comment

Uh, what type of picks were you using?

Comment

dunlop tortex .73mm

Comment

Working...
                              X