Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• String question for tuning down to A#

Hey,

so I have never changed out strings based on tuning before, but since I have 20 some odd guitars I figured I might as well setup a couple for specific tunings (wow, novel idea... [/sarcasm] )
    Since I have never actually done this before I was curious if I should switch up to something like 12-54 (Or if there's something heavier, then that?)

I know I won't get away from all of the floppy but, curious if changing up would make any difference. (you'd think after playing 34 years I'd have figured this out by now..)
    In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

I wouldn't use below a 56. For the low B on my 7-string, I use a 60 or 59 depending on the brand. You may or may not have intonation issues when tuning that low, depending if your saddle has enough room to move back, but you should probably be okay with at least 25.5" scale.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

A really rough estimate of string tension can be equated to 1 string gauge for each letter name. Which leaves some leeway for the #/b notes.
      So, for me, who uses 9 and is tuned to E - to maintain the same string tension, I would use 10s for D and 11 for C.
      And that would bring A# to 12 or 13.

Another way to go about it is - going down to A# would be like tuning down a half step on a 7-string.
      So, again, for me, who uses 9s, the 7 string set would be 9-54. Don't use the high E string, I would be using 11-54.

With thicker strings, you need to change the action and the relief. They require more room to vibrate.

Comment

Did it really take me 90 minutes to post that?
        What the hell was I doing for that long.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
          Did it really take me 90 minutes to post that?
          What the hell was I doing for that long.
          Hahaha, time slips away quickly when on JFC

I picked up a set of DR's 10-60's. to mess around around more in C, so if the lower end 36 52 60 seem to feel good I'll which the highs to 11 etc.

Cool thank you guys
          In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

Working...
          X