80's guitar method/lessons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80's guitar method/lessons

Just for shits 'n' giggles, I recently posted on CL about hiring a guitar instructor that was proficient in 80's shredding and all things related. Nada.

I tend to respond well to both live instruction as well as video tutorials. Don't wanna drop a fortune on out-of-print/publication book/video lessons and I'm not a fan of learning other's stuff note-for-note (unless we're covering it in the set list).

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by vector; 10-31-2012, 06:49 AM.

Check out Metal Method. Good instructional videos and not too expensive. He started his program in the 80's and I believe he has updated it over the years. It's a great place to start. Just a suggesation.

Comment

Originally posted by dannyr View Post
      Check out Metal Method. Good instructional videos and not too expensive. He started his program in the 80's and I believe he has updated it over the years. It's a great place to start. Just a suggesation.
      Thanks for the suggestion!
      Funny, I was just helping to clean out my folk's basement yesterday and came across one of the Metal Method lesson books, Lesson 8, I believe. I flipped thru it and was chuckling because of how dated it seemed. Might have to give it another look.

Comment

Look into Troy Stetina's materials. He teaches a lot of 80's shredder techniques, and most guitarists point him out as a reference. He doesn't teach note-for-note versions of songs, but gives general lessons on the techniques. Was watching some instructional vids of his on sweep picking and tapping the other night.

Comment

Originally posted by SausageofPower View Post
          Look into Troy Stetina's materials. He teaches a lot of 80's shredder techniques, and most guitarists point him out as a reference. He doesn't teach note-for-note versions of songs, but gives general lessons on the techniques. Was watching some instructional vids of his on sweep picking and tapping the other night.
          +1!!!

JFrocks.com has a lot of stuff related to the 80s.

Youtube too.
          JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
          Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Or our own Kevin Dillard's material.
            It will take you beyond shred.

Comment

Has anyone tried JFrocks? I have been tempted to pick up a few of the lessons but he seems to ramble on a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
                Or our own Kevin Dillard's material.
                It will take you beyond shred.
                I've got two of Kevin's books.

Comment

Working...
                X