Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard to express myself through music.

Hello,

I've been playing guitar for almost 4 years now and I was never into learning someone else songs - I always wanted to write my own stuff. I can do some major type of melodies, almost vocal like. Sometimes I like to use dorian sounds, to give that melancholic vibe. But when it comes to down to playing I metal and writing my own riffs, I always get stuck and start to write some metalcorish shit ( gonna add a gp file to show what kind of stuff ussualy comes out), but I'm not satisfied with it. Ofcourse, I listen to it, sometimes it sounds decent, but it isn't realy reflecting my feelings, it isn't reflecting myself, my soul - in short, it's hard for me to express myself as a musician. Please, HELP ME !

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/78706205/bru...gian_meeen.gp5 <- link to the riff.

Didn't check it out, at work. Thing is, if your technique and ability aren't up to par, then you'll have more trouble expressing yourself. You say you don't want to learn other peoples songs, but that is handy. Find a song you like, feel it, and see what they do to express it.
    "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

At first identify what feel and what kind of music you want to make. Then find music having the similar feel as the one you are trying to create. Learn that music, play specially attention to the chord progressions and forms (like bar versions or add9s or 5th chords). Not trying to offend you but from what you said it seems as if you do not having enough music vocabulary at the feel you are trying to create. So find songs which have similar feeling and emotion and learn the chords and licks of those songs. Learning others song is like learning new words, the more you know the easier it will be to express yourself.

I just heard your riff it's not bad at all but I warn you those kinda riffs are getting popular and over done. If you want to express yourself and not sound like an average metalcore then figure out your own licks and riff styles. Best of luck man.

Comment

Rakib, thanks man. My vocabluary should be bigger. I mostly listen to that generic pedal tone stuff, so I guess that's just normal that I write that kind of riffs ussualy. I guess I should cut that chuga chuga stuff for a while and listen to different styles of music that inspire me, maybe I will come up with something cool. I'll keep you updated on this. In the meantime your ideas and tips are welcome ! Thank you !

Comment

I find that learning other people's stuff does help me. As long as I take the time to get it right. There are all sorts of techniques you can pick up that way. The more techniques in your bag of tricks, the easier it is to express yourself. At least that is what I find.
          "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Diversefy your music. Blues, rock, metal, shred, country, western, bluegrass, southern rock, doom, stoner, etc...whatever your into, absorb it like a sponge. Thats what keeps music going. and keeps new and interesting music flowing
            Jackson Adrian Smith SDX
            LTD EC401VF
            Gibby Les Paul
            Ibanez RG220D O Natural
            Fender Parts Caster
            Oranger Tiny Terror Head
            2) Orange PPC 1X12 Celestion Vintage 30
            TU2 Tuner
            Dunlop Cantrell Wah
            Fulltone 70's Fuzz
            Fulltone Distortion Pro1
            Fulltone Mosfet 2
            Fulltone OCD OD
            Fulltone Deja Vibe

Comment

Originally posted by chuckbat View Post
              Diversefy your music. Blues, rock, metal, shred, country, western, bluegrass, southern rock, doom, stoner, etc...whatever your into, absorb it like a sponge. Thats what keeps music going. and keeps new and interesting music flowing
              this is true
              when i started(2 years ago) to create some stuff i was NEVER satisfied with me.. now i think i writing some decent stuff.. i guess
              what could help you is to try playing a keyboard and create some stuff it would be easier to create something in a different instrument.. i guess
              [SoUnDcLoUd]

Comment

I break stuff into three note or even double stop two note chords played with my fingers. If they don't sound right or profound and you have no idea of an accompanying melody then any fill or linking riffs or riffs derived from or put to these chord progression ain't gonna sound that great either. Using your fingers you can get a cleaner softer, tone and bridge string easily without having to first work out picking parts which can really slow you down or make you loose site of something profound and epic. You can then add linking licks or make it into a riff, or ad a pedal tone in the same key etc.

Of course some stuff is just riff based and comes from noodling but there are still usually underlying chord progressions in the chorus or verse.

Usually its a mix of both.

I can't write shite though, I make a 30 second masterpiece and get bored, or think it is so awesomely moving that it would probably bore others to tears.

Less is definitely more though and breaking it down, or starting from nothing using building blocks is the most reliable method, unless you have something in your head that needs to come out or you are with other people and it just evolves.
                You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

I've learned more in the last 2 years than the previous 10 and it all comes down to joining a band with friends where we played originals and then joining the office band at work where we play stuff that I never would have considered learning like Adele, 4 non-blondes, and Robert Palmer tunes.

I'm forced out of my pedal tone based metal comfort zone into playing clean to crunchy with lots of open chords. I still generally don't like the music, but I'm having a blast playing with others.
                  GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Working...
                  X