Why am i in a rut?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why am i in a rut?

Why can i not progress after 17 years of devotion to the guitar? Im bored with it and sick of playing the same shit over and over. and my mind just refuses to open up and come up with new patterns. anybody got any good scales and interesting chord shapes or progressions?
    Let me tell you about a porcupine's balls.... They're small, and they don't give a shit!

Jumpin' in and hope that thread will evolve into something interesting.

I know how you can feel. I go into that "phase" at least once a year and can be in that mood from a few days to some months...

I've noticed that trying something completely different gets me out of this.

Trying to convert a classical piece into a rock/metal version did it for me a few months back. Worked on a Mozart tune for a few months.

And recently, I joined a "lunch-break-band" at the office. We play once a week together during the lunch break. I bring my cheap acoustic guitar and we play some songs together. It's fun and different than my other projects. Gets me out of my confort zone and as we don't have a drummer, gotta follow a singer.

3 things I've noticed that bring that "sick and boring mood" to me:

- lack of time to devote to the guitar
    - being tired (when I get super busy at work)
    - band drama (my main band goes into this at least once a year)

All of the above aren't easy to deal with but gotta live with them!
    JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
    Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Is it a life situation?

I was big into guitar from 1985 to 1993. Then work, marriage, kids, buying homes, etc. took me out of it until 1998. Still didn't really get back into it until 2003, and have been very into it since then.

Comment

Idk, im just feeling stuck. i get all the time i could want to practice outside work, because Jodee is very supportive of it, but im just not feeling anything new. and i kinda feel i should be better with 17 years of it under my belt, but sadly im sloppy and untechnical.
        Let me tell you about a porcupine's balls.... They're small, and they don't give a shit!

Comment

try the xylaphone.
          "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

I'd say just play what you don't, for example if you're a metal player try some jazz or country, just something you're not used to playing, then incorporate what you learned to your playing style and keep expanding on that.

Comment

Meh. It happens to the best of us. Don’t sweat it dude. I think we have all been through it for one reason or another.....

Try some different tones. Listen to something you would NEVER listen to. Break out some tunes you haven't heard for a while. Think of what it was that made you want to play 17 years ago. Give it some time you be ight.....
              If you’re looking for scales you know Google and YouTube is your best friend. I like to cruise YouTube for new shit.:idea:

Although, YouTube can be a bit disheartening when you see a 10 year old playing Paul Gilbert tunes note for note with his eyes closed. Maybe avoid those for now....
              -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Comment

For me what works is going back and listening to that one song, maybe one from early in your teen years, that just "got you off". Maybe it was one that you always loved, one that just blew you away when you heard it, or maybe even one you've always tried but never quite got right. Throw on the tunes, rock out with some you're familiar with for a bit to warm up, then hit that one and give it your best shot.
                In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

see the problem is i listen to hair metal, satriani, vai, eric johnson metallica, some country, megadeth on and on, so i should have this massive library of licks, but instead, im bluesey. i am the only guy in the world i think that could play deathmetal and end up sounding like a blues player. idk, i just cant shake the stuff off. i mean dont get me wrong, srv is one of my heros, but i just need to expand my horizons. preferably without drugs or alcohol lol. oh yea, i used to hang out with this guy named rodney from atlanta and he was big into fusion players like gambale and greg howe. and he really opened me up to some new technique, but sadly he got diagnosed with sickle cell and killed himself. i miss that guy man.

Comment

For me the solution is working with other guitar players, as they usually have a different take on your stuff, which opens the material up letting you take it in other directions. Varying what you listen to also helps, I don't mean steal a lick, but if you listen to newer music or things outside your comfort zone your playing will change in some ways.
                    I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by levantin View Post
                      For me the solution is working with other guitar players, as they usually have a different take on your stuff, which opens the material up letting you take it in other directions. Varying what you listen to also helps, I don't mean steal a lick, but if you listen to newer music or things outside your comfort zone your playing will change in some ways.
                      Perfect advice IMO!
                      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by levantin View Post
                        I'm levantin and agree with horns!

As long as you can find someone that brings you out of your comfort zone. And sometimes it's difficult to find that person.
                        JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                        Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Originally posted by jacksonkellyfreak View Post
                          some country,.
                          well, there is your problem right there. look no further.
                          "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

I too agree with playing with as many different players as you can. Also what I do is switch between acoustic and electric. I do that a ton. I will go for months on one or the other and then both. I find it refreshing and sometimes it in itself can be enough to shake things up.
                            "I have so much gayness at times. My wife walks in my music room, and there I am, in my undies, listening to "Sister Christian" while lighting fireworks..doin' blow." - Bill Z

"I leave off the back plate and pinch my forskin between the tension springs. That may not work for everyone. But I find that the people love it. Half the tone is in the pud." - Bill Z

Comment

Have you considered taking some lessons?

Comment

Working...
                              X