Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

to keep the previous note fretted or not ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• to keep the previous note fretted or not ...

let's take this repeating fast lick from a Paul Gilbert lesson

e----------12-------
    b-12-13-15---15-13- x4

when you start off playing the first 3 notes, do you keep the previous notes fretted or do you lift them up after playing the next note? What I would do is lift up the index finger on the 12th fret as soon as I play the 15th fret.

so basically have only 2 fingers fretted on the b string at the maximum

however on a lick like this

e-12-13-15-13-12 x 4

I would have the index planted on the 12th fret and would fret the previous note when ascending and when descending I would start off with having 3 fingers already fretting the 12th,13th, and the 15th fret

Is there a proper way about when to fret the previous note or not?

I'd say the best way is to only have one finger on the neck at a time, as this allows you to place any non-fretting finger anywhere else for greater variety of note choice.

However, for me, I do the "plant and roll" method as well, where I have the riff already worked out in my mind as far as placement in the solo goes, and the index is nailed to the 12th fret and I just drop and raise the other fingers for the other notes.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Personally I move my finger but the roll method works also. Moving the finger would probably be considered more proper.

I choose to move my finger because if you are fretting the note correctly moving the finger should relieve pressure on the thumb and other fingers.

I have seen a lot of people develop thumb and finger issues over the years because of applying too much pressure and never learning proper technique.
      PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Actually you want to keep the finger in place, just release the pressure a lilttle so when you want to move you can snap it into position. I see students play a note and when they go to the next note they fling the finger off of the fret board. This takes energy, wastes movement, and creates tention in the hand. Play it VERY slowly and when you go to the next note just relax the finger and keep it on the string, you will find that this will allow you to ultimately play it faster, without tention, and without wasted movement. The more you move it away from the fret board, the longer it takes it to get to the next note. I'll admit we may only be talking about a few cm but I can't see your playing so I don't know, but I've seen some student move thier fingers as much as an inch or two off of the fret board? 16th notes at 190 and this will make a big deal.

Comment

Working...
        X