Jamming VS Woodshedding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jamming VS Woodshedding

So my situation is this: an old friend from high school that I use to play in basement "bands" (I use that term very loosely; we made more noise then real songs) with has asked me to play guitar in a new "band" he's putting together.
    He's got:
    - a bass player that just recently started; roughly a year playing, if that
    - a 2nd guitarist, about 2 years playing
    - himself on drums, with a combined 3 years or so but just picking them back up after many years off
    - myself ,11 years with a period of about 2-3 years where I didn't practice as extensively as I did for the first 5 and nowhere near the level I have been for the last year.

I know lots of people advise that jamming with others has a much greater and quicker improvement rate but I was wondering about that in this situation. All of them are pretty much in the beginning of learning their instruments and my playing is way more advanced comparatively. I hate for it to come across as I think I'm some amazing guitarist, the next Rhoads Vansteen or something. I'm really not even half way where I want to be. I'm still woodshedding away along to Guitar Pro tracks and working on Stetina's Speed Mechanics.

We've done 2-3 "jams" where not a lot has come of it. I finally managed to convince them last night we should work on something "classic metal" that would be easier then us trying to master something beyond their abilities. We've settled on "Rock You Like a Hurricane" where the actual rhythm section is pretty easy and I just have to learn the lead bits which is the harder part.

In addition, the 2nd guitarist is driving me batty at the "jams". He runs some Ibanez guitar with a FR (which I thought was nuts to have on your first guitar) into a 15 watt Frontline with everything on 11 to be heard over the drums. He's always out of tune and has no idea that he is even though he's got some multi effects unit with a built in tuner. I tried tuning it before he got there last night but it needs a complete set up. The sheer noise coming from his rig when he's not playing is unbelievable. I actually got a brutal headache and left the jam after 2 hours. With everything on his amp on 11 the feedback is ear piercingly loud and his tone is overall pretty terrible. I can overlook the tone as that's subjective but the feedback and the other mentioned stuff is annoying me.

I'm just wondering if I should give this my all and hope at some point I start getting the push people talk about jamming with others brings or if I should just stick to what I'm doing alone woodshedding and look for something better when I feel more comfortable with my skills.
    I almost feel the former is what I should be doing but it seems like it'll be a much longer road than the latter.
    Last edited by Outlaw; 07-13-2011, 03:23 PM. Reason: spelling

It depends what you are looking for out of the band really. If you just want to hang out and play with other musicians and have fun learning and making music together then stick with it. If the other guy keeps you from having fun though bail. If it's not fun there's no point. If you want to make the band a pro-band then you will want to start with people closer to the same level of musicianship. Otherwise be prepared to teach the other guy some stuff.

Oh and get some of these for the headaches...

http://www.hearos.com/products/high-fidelity
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I think I'm probably looking for a pro band while they're just looking to have fun, drink some beer and play the same riffs over and over again for hours. At least it's giving me something to practice the scales I've been working on between jams, even though they're nothing close to the backing tracks on youtube/etc
      The last jam session left a pretty bitter taste, it'll definitely be me teaching the other guys a lot of stuff. I think the bass player has a bit of skill, enough to figure out simple bass lines to some of my own riffs I was playing. He picked them up quicker then the other guitarist anyways but it was still only playing the root notes.
      Definitely going to pick up some ear plugs for the next one, thanks for the idea.

Comment

I'd say find a better, more challenging "band". I appreciate friends are friends, and nothing takes that away, but I think you must respect music for it to be fun and fulfilling.

It's a bit like when you turn up at the playground for a pickup game: it is not a matter of life and death whether you win or not (unless you're playing at West 4th or at the Rucker...), but you definitely enjoy it more if everyone's level is at least the same as yours, and there is respect for the game.

Comment

Originally posted by surfreak View Post
          I'd say find a better, more challenging "band". I appreciate friends are friends, and nothing takes that away, but I think you must respect music for it to be fun and fulfilling.
          +1 Good advice.
          Last edited by BenoA; 07-19-2011, 09:13 AM.
          JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
          Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

A few thoughts. I think most of us have been in this situation at one time or another. You will always find yourself playing with people that aren't playing up to the ability of others. Jamming with these guys isn't going to hurt or prevent you from finding another source to play. Playing is the most important part, and playing with others is ALWAYS better than playing alone. It WILL make you better even if you don't feel that it is. Teaching others is going to make you better and more confident in what you know. The other side is if the the other guys are feeling this is more work than fun then they will probably quit before you will. Maybe at the end of the day you find yourself a bass player that you can really bond with, and thats worth a ton. My feelings are there are a few musicians out there that are your "musical twins". I don't want to get all "zen" or anything on you, but I do feel that way and you never know when or where you may find them. I say stick it out and find the "good" in it and enjoy it. Music is about feeling good and sharing. With that keep looking for more opportunities. Continue to learn and grow and you will never second guess your choices. Just my two cents. Good luck.
            "I have so much gayness at times. My wife walks in my music room, and there I am, in my undies, listening to "Sister Christian" while lighting fireworks..doin' blow." - Bill Z

"I leave off the back plate and pinch my forskin between the tension springs. That may not work for everyone. But I find that the people love it. Half the tone is in the pud." - Bill Z

Comment

Working...
            X