No announcement yet.

Help improving speed and accuracy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cliff, its easy to see you are progressing steadily. Good to see attention to note clarity, wholesome timing and phrasing.

From what I can see, your main problem now that is really limiting you, is the involuntary nerve connection between your mouth and your picking hand. What's going on there then? I simply don't think you can move your mouth fast enough to keep up... I never understood why some guitarists do that, had a few mates who did that when I was younger . I mean if your pulling a wail of bend ok...but all the time? You look like you got tourettes or mild dementia or something and how you are supposed to sing backing vocals with all that going on god only knows. Are you on e's or amphetamine or something?

The reason it sounds crap is probably influenced by your tone, I play crap when the tone is all dry and uninspiring. I think its air pressure and temperature dependant, sometimes you turn on the amp and its killer and singing, sometimes its just flat.

Look forward to the 300bpm next month.
    Last edited by ginsambo; 04-30-2012, 12:54 PM.
    You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

• Thanks for the feedback guys.
      Billz, I'm glad you like the tone. I waver between liking it and thinking it sounds too harsh. But yeah, it's guitar straight into the amp, with delay in the loop. No stomp boxes. I was actually wondering if I needed a noise gate or compressor or something to help sweeten it up. If I was an electronics expert, I'd make my own pedal - I'd call it the Turd Polisher.
      I've recently been trying the 'play as fast as you can' thing. And it certainly helps. In a couple of cases, though, I've wound up with my left-hand moving as fast as it can, then had trouble playing against a beat because I can't control it when I play a bit slower. In the main, though, it's lots of fun and constructive. I've had odd phrases from this tune playing at 140 or so. I'll see if I can record some next time.
      For the longest time I tried to play like Paige. Him and Van Halen were my two big heroes, but I never learnt how to sound like Van Halen.
      Ginsambo, the mouth, I know .
      My other signature says something funny

Comment

• Originally posted by horns666 View Post
        Well, this seems to be working for you in baby steps. You have MUCH more patience than I care to imagine...

Oh..good tone BTW. I like the tone on these.

Have fun,

Billz
        Had to quote Bill! You've got it and you will probably get the results you are looking for. Keep practicing buddy!

And your clip was like a slap in the face. I'm gonna check that bumblebee tune too...
        JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
        Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

• Thanks Benoa. Go for it - I'd love to hear your version.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cliff View Post
            almost perfect

could you send me a gp file of that excersise?
            Last edited by blackhatch; 05-01-2012, 02:09 AM.
            [SoUnDcLoUd]

Comment

• Originally posted by Cliff View Post
              You know, it's the strangest thing.....

Keep it up Cliff and we'll be asking you for tips I would have to put in quite some time me thinks to get it that good myself

Comment

• Heh heh. Thanks for the props guys .

Blackhatch, sorry, but I don't have a gp file. I'm working from a transcription in Troy Stetina's Speed Mechanics - an excellent book which Javert originally recommended to me. I'm sure there are other versions available on the web, though.

Comment

• Originally posted by blackhatch View Post
                  almost perfect

could you send me a gp file of that excersise?
                  Guitar Pro tabs here:

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/t/tr...guitar_pro.htm
                  JB aka BenoA

Comment

• Originally posted by BenoA View Post
                    thank U
                    [SoUnDcLoUd]

Comment

• im playing it at 90bpm
                      [SoUnDcLoUd]

Comment

• Originally posted by blackhatch View Post
                        im playing it at 90bpm
                        Good for ya. Haven't been able to go over 75 bpm without destroying it.
                        JB aka BenoA

Comment

• After watching a video of myself playing I noticed I move my wrist at times and I move my elbow at other times and sometimes together. Being self taught has left me with a handbag of different techniques. Never had to do 2 shows in 2 nights but I don't have any pain the next day after a show. I think it's different for everybody. Keep up the great work.
                          I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

• Thanks for the input. I must admit, I still haven't figured out the best way for myself yet. Like you say, it seems to be different for everyone. My current theory is it's easier to play fast if the hands don't have to support the guitar. This seems to give me greater freedom to concentrate on playing and making quick position shifts.
                            Blackhatch, Benoa - great to hear you're giving it a go. Please post vids soon . Benoa - keep at it mate, I'm sure you'll be way faster and cleaner than me in no time. I got up to 132 earlier in the week, then hit some sort of mental stumbling block which meant I couldn't play a couple of the licks cleanly at all. Last night I slowed back down to 80 to try and solidify it. At least it gives me more time to concentrate on getting a better tone.

Comment

• Before BenoA give me the tab i was playing this http://www.911tabs.com/link/?3193401 its dificult to learn but i seems easier than the gp file!, you will play it faster i think. Im not playing the entire tab :/ but i was able to play it at 90bpm, 70 for learning, im willing to lear the entire tab and post a vid too
                              What i have learned and playing too slow is this song http://youtu.be/Bbm_qYYBvS8 full tab here http://www.tabsheaven.net/data/28609.gp4
                              amazing song im playing it at 70bpm
                              [SoUnDcLoUd]

Comment

• You have made an astronomical improvement. Keep at it!

Comment

Working...
                                X