Unchain the Lynch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unchain the Lynch

So I'm battling through Lynch's Unchain the Night solo and was wondering how he plays a fast repeated run of notes starting at 3:07. Alternate picking or a legato style? I find if I use a legato style of hammer-on then pick the B on the high e string then pull-off A-B back to F# I can get a more fluid sound but still not up to speed.

To me it sounds like Lynch is picking every note but I'm terrible at trying discern particular notes like that.

Any help, opinions would be great.

youtube.
    Type in "unchain the night solo" hit enter.
    There ya go.
    Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Looked for unchain the night although never "unchain the night solo". There was a couple there I hadn't seen. The Jeff DeFalco one's pretty good.

Pretty sure Lynch must use some super speedy picking.

Time to get out the metronome.

Comment

Lynch had an instructional DVD (originally a VHS) that was recorded during the Wicked Sensation sessions wherein he showed a number of his old solos, including Unchain the Night. It's on YouTube in chunks. If not, I can upload that part later tonight. It's a nice little gem for Lynch fans.

Comment

downstroke on first note (F#) on b string
          hammer G A then up stroke the B on the E string then upstroke the A pull off the A G F# G A down stroke the B repeat....
          the two upstrokes are "swept" making this run an economy picking + legato run.
          He does this kind of thing lots
          http://www.facebook.com/HairRaidBand

Comment

just play anything real fast, it will sound close enough. some of lynch's stuff is too hard to figure out.
            "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

it really doesn't matter. He doesn't it play it the same way twice.
              http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SausageofPower View Post
                Lynch had an instructional DVD (originally a VHS) that was recorded during the Wicked Sensation sessions wherein he showed a number of his old solos, including Unchain the Night. It's on YouTube in chunks. If not, I can upload that part later tonight. It's a nice little gem for Lynch fans.
                Thanks I'll get on youtube see if I can find it.

Originally posted by ///MK View Post
                downstroke on first note (F#) on b string
                hammer G A then up stroke the B on the E string then upstroke the A pull off the A G F# G A down stroke the B repeat....
                the two upstrokes are "swept" making this run an economy picking + legato run.
                He does this kind of thing lots
                Yeah I can definitely get a smoother sound using this technique.

I just have this problem where I want to know exactly how the artist plays it. It's very annoying

Comment

Found it. Thanks
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWPJuV-FDDw&NR=1

Unchain the Night starts at 7:05.

Still hard to tell but it does look like he picks it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Napalm View Post
                    it really doesn't matter. He doesn't it play it the same way twice.
                    Too true. It's funny, even on that DVD, for the "In My Dreams" solo he plays the first couple of bars of the solo differently when he plays it at tempo as opposed to the "slowed down" version. Messed with me the first time I watched it. It's amusing also because he even pauses for a moment like he's trying to dissect the solo in his head when he's explaining how he plays it. Still, love the guy's playing even if he changes things around all the time. He admits all of his stuff is just off the top of his head, I believe he admitted that the only solo he "premeditated" was Tooth and Nail.

Originally posted by thebeggar View Post
                    Found it. Thanks
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWPJuV-FDDw&NR=1

Unchain the Night starts at 7:05.

Still hard to tell but it does look like he picks it.
                    I can upload a better version if you wanna see it clearer. He appears to use a combination of picking and legato work, it's not just straightforward shred.

Comment

Lynch will always be the worst best player out there from the 80's. He can play and write awesome guitar parts but couldnt tell you what key its in. He says he doesnt know a major scale yet he teaches online lessons. Lol
                      This space for rent

Comment

I can upload a better version if you wanna see it clearer. He appears to use a combination of picking and legato work, it's not just straightforward shred.
                        Cheers that would be great

Comment

I love some Lynch... but he is the master of the hammer ons and pull offs. He prob picks less than any other 80's guitarist. LOL I love that sound though.. nice and fluid like.

Comment

Originally posted by thebeggar View Post
                            Cheers that would be great
                            I'll do it, but it'll be a few days. My internet at home is down, some idiot hit a fiber optic in my neighborhood.

Comment

I'll do it, but it'll be a few days. My internet at home is down, some idiot hit a fiber optic in my neighborhood.

No problem at all mate. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X