No announcement yet.

What are the strongest guitar strings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll hesitantly second the recommendation on the DR tite fits. The only reason for that is I've so far only been using the 10-42's for around 9 months on 2 guitars tuned to E-standard. Not a single breakage and for an uncoated string they retain their tone and feel far longer than my previous uncoated string of choice, D'adarrio XL's.

I literally can't remember the last time I broke a string while playing though. For a casual player though I don't put lots of hours on them before changing them since I have 5 guitars and typically only play on average a half hour a night.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
      if you always break strings at the saddle, it might be worth check the saddles for burrs or what have you
      Originally posted by Robert Hendrix View Post
      Seriously, I agree with VitaminG. Check your saddles for burrs. If they are new, it's possible.
      Hmmm... Thanks for the tip, i got the Floyd over the summer last year so i will check. Any idea what to do if they are burred?
      It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
      ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

get an old string and lightly work it back and forth over the burred area. Slide the string along the groove of the saddle. Should level it out without chewing up the saddle.

Or you could gently apply some sandpaper. Either way, the aim is to smooth the area and remove any burrs so that when the string is vibrating side-to-side in the saddle, the burrs aren't cutting the string.
        Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by levantin View Post
          I've never broken a string ever. How do manage that?
          Me either, but I change strings fairly often.

Well, I did break an Ernie Ball 9 once, but I was stretching it out with the nut unlocked and I think it sort of ground on the nut slot.
          Last edited by potatohead; 01-19-2011, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X