altering action height of a Kelly 2 EDS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• altering action height of a Kelly 2 EDS

What string action distance should i consider if i want to play quick legato and arpeggio licks. As i play now the legato notes are sounding very thin in the amp.
    The disctance on the nut is now 1,5 mm and 3mm on the 12th string (mesured to the top of the fret).
    If so can someone point me to a movie where i can see what and how to adjust the guitar (?bridge , pickups?)

Here is what I do - I get the neck as straight as possible (I use 10-52 gauge strings tuned to D Standard), then set the action like this - Low E string height is 2mm from bottom of string to top of 12th fret. I use a regular tape measure. High E string height is 1.2 to 1.5mm from bottom of string to top of 12th fret. You can adjust the action by using the 3mm Floyd wrench for the locking nut. Insert the wrench into the bass side bridge post and turn clockwise (a little at a time, then measure height) until your Low E string measures as described (or whatever height you desire, this is just the height I prefer, I get smooth legato and great action this way). Do the same for the High E side bridge post. You may be able to get away with even lower action if you use lighter gauge strings. Then check and re-set intonation if necessary. These measurements are the measurements on my KE2, and the store owner where I teach loves it. He has me setting up his guitars the same way now and he plays Kellys. Hope that helps.

Comment

tnx, just to be sure..do i have to take of the tension of the strings somewhat before adjusting the bridge post or unscrew the locks on the neck ? fyi i use .009 to .42

Comment

Originally posted by Haplodepatrijn View Post
        tnx, just to be sure..do i have to take of the tension of the strings somewhat before adjusting the bridge post or unscrew the locks on the neck ? fyi i use .009 to .42
        What? You missed the heated battle over this subject?

I do loosen, others don't. Dan Erlewine says he doesn't in his book.

Comment

Working...
        X