String Action Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• String Action Question

Hello. I have 2 jackson guitars, one DXMG and one DK2F.
    The action on my DK2F is a bit higher than the action on the DXMG.
    Switching between the two guitars doesn't affect my playing ability at all, but it does affect my tone. The DXMG has a thicker neck and a different pickup model, but both have DiMarzio.

Should I adjust the string action to higher on the DXMG for a better tone, or does it even matter? We're talking 1,5-2,5mm's, and as I said they both still play good after 5 years XD

You could also try lowering the pickups if the action is too high for you.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

my action is not too high for me, like i said both guitars play really good.

but even if my action was high, why would i want to lower the pickups? i wouldn't get anything but low output?

my question is how to get the best tone from my guitars, i always have the pickups pretty close to the strings, atleast the bridge pickup. i want to know what to do with the low action on the DXMG
      Last edited by devreaux; 06-02-2010, 02:05 PM.

Comment

pickup height doesn't adjust the action?

Comment

No, but it might have some effect on the sound.
          Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

The height of your action will not affect the inherent sound of the guitar other than affecting buzzing on the strings. Different models of pickups in the same guitar will sound different. Throw a different guitar in the mix and it will make it more different again. Pick up height will affect your sound and they can be too close to the strings which can dull the sound due to magnetic 'drag' on the strings.
            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

String height does affect your tone, the closeness to hard physical object has an effect on the string vibration. At least I hear a difference which is enough for me to play with a very high action. I also have the pickups pretty low. Everything changes the tone, it all depends how much all these nuances are important to you.
              "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

so it is a working solution to have high action and low pickup position to get a nice tone?, like wilkinsi said?
                Last edited by devreaux; 06-02-2010, 03:43 PM.

Comment

yes, try it, you can always change back
                  "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
                    yes, try it, you can always change back
                    yeah sure, that will result in 2 completely different tones (the two guitars) and i can keep the low action

Comment

Working...
                    X