I don't care about shredding anymore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't care about shredding anymore

What the hell happened to me?! I still love guys like Yngwie and what not, but lately a mean groove and some blues is just where it's at. I use to think Jimi Hendrix was completely over-rated but lately I'm loving his shit. Well, more so people covering his stuff (SRV, Skid Row, Clapton, etc..)

I guess everything really does come full circle?
    Originally posted by horns666
    The only thing I choke during sex is, my chicken..especially when I wanna glaze my wife's buns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yzOtRHolco&feature=sub

Such a groove!
    Originally posted by horns666
    The only thing I choke during sex is, my chicken..especially when I wanna glaze my wife's buns.

Comment

Fuck my username, seriously it's normal. I went through the same exact thing, I needed a deep groove and put the flashy stuff on a self for a while, more power to ya! Good music never disappears, especially the blues.
      Ratt & Roll

Comment

I've been watching a lot of Hendrix concerts lately as well as Jeff Healey and Bernard Allison. Great stuff and fun to play along with.

Comment

dude i know what your going through, i had a couple of years of really fast and cheesy shredding; not really caring about the musicality. Fast forward a couple of years and im now getting back into playing fast music. but not metal or "shred" , my interests are now in gypsy jazz and modern fusion.

What you are describing is just a maturing musical taste. ( btw i still think hendrix is shit. give me beck or mc laughlin any day : )
          Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
          Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

It's a logical progress, during one period you learn about articulation, speed, flashy techniques etc. and then there's a period where you need to make your music more expressive, filled with more nuances, focusing more on tone, feel, dynamics and rhythmics. That's how the playing comes really together eventually. When you get back to fast stuff then it will sound better because all the fast notes are played with the same kind of feel and expression as the slow notes, and it would be easy to get back to it because the previous heavy exercising has made the muscles comfortable with it.
            Last edited by Endrik; 01-01-2010, 08:12 AM.
            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
              It's a logical progress, during one period you learn about articulation, speed, flashy techniques etc. and then there's a period where you need to make your music more expressive, filled with more nuances, focusing more on tone, feel, dynamics and rhythmics. That's how the playing comes really together eventually. When you get back to fast stuff then it will sound better because all the fast notes are played with the same kind of feel and expression as the slow notes, and it would be easy to get back to it because the previous heavy exercising has made the muscles comfortable with it.

I couldn't agree more Endrik. Well said.

Comment

+1 to what Endrik said.

Comment

Good to hear.
                  Check out some Robbin Ford sometime.
                  Talk to your daughter is my favorite CD from him.
                  Just killer tone, and riffs, and groove
                  "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                  --floydkramer

Comment

ALD (Alex Lifeson Disease) can strike at any time.

Best thing to do is to pick up some Al Dimeola's electric works. It'll help keep the disease at bay.
                    Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Originally posted by nhspike View Post
                      Good to hear.
                      Check out some Robbin Ford sometime.
                      Talk to your daughter is my favorite CD from him.
                      Just killer tone, and riffs, and groove
                      I like the first Blue Line album the best... oh, and it's Robben Ford, by the way.

Comment

Guthrie Govan - Waves

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEpst3W6KD8

Comment

Originally posted by Flatpicker View Post
                          ALD (Alex Lifeson Disease) can strike at any time.

Best thing to do is to pick up some Al Dimeola's electric works. It'll help keep the disease at bay.
                          +1 we've all been there. Don't worry about not wanting to shred anymore (or for awhile). the worst part of it is the meds they keep you on and the 24-hr. observation, the camera, the suicide watch, and the questions always the QUESTIONS, AND THE VOICES TALKING TALKING TALKING TILL I WANT TO SCREAM "SHUT UP SHUT UP"......

They gave me all the the Jell-o I wanted but after the Electro-shock I was never very hungry. The need to shred is natural and will return in time. For now, enjoys the soothing tones of Al and Jimi. BTW, What was your relationship with your mother?

Seriously, we all like Gilmour too!
                          Why the hell doesn't Eddie pick up a goddamned guitar and play something?

Current Junk:
                          98 ESP S'burst Tiger,(2) 85 Jackson Soloists (1 pink, 1 red and a white 85 Rhoads),08 Wayne,98 Blackmore, 91 375 Deluxe, 91 MM EVH Purple, 75 Ibanez Korina Destroyer,74 Strat, 78 JMP, 87 JCM800, (2) 80 Hamer Sunbursts, Peavey Vandenberg Custom Puzzle, 335, LPR8, 80 Dimarzio Explorer, 80 Dimarzio Strat, 84 Charvel, Nightswan, LPC Lite, old Baretta, etc. etc. +stuff. [sigpic=true][/sigpic]

Comment

Sounds like my tastes in music. It's a predictable pattern for me though. I spend half the year listen to stuff like Emperor, Immortal etc until I get sick of it then start listening to JP, Van Halen etc until I get sick of that then go back to the crazier stuff. I burnt out on shredding for the sake of shredding a long time ago. Guys like Rusty Cooley and MAB just bore me now. The only shredders I like anymore are Jeff Loomis and Jason Becker because they have substance to their shredding. And Paul Gilbert too but that's because he's Paul Gilbert.

Right now I'm on a real kick of Blue Oyster Cult, DLR era Van Halen and old school Priest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5V7KP...eature=related
                            Last edited by Ben...; 01-10-2010, 07:16 PM.
                            "Dear Dr. Bill,
                            I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

hell, I bought Elvis Costello & Rory Gallagher CDs on the weekend.

I've never been able to shred anyway. I enjoy listening to guys that can, but to play like that requires patience, self-discipline, practice, commitment, effort - all things that I seriously lack. Besides, practice would cut into my JCF time
                              Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                              X