Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recording Gear Confusion

Hi Guys,

I want to start doing recordings (again), and learn how to use a sequencer program as well. Been looking at many different products, and checked out many home recording guides on the internet (such as the one sticky-ed at the top of this sub-forum)... but there are so many options now, that all of it is still rather confusing...

Here is what I have in terms of recording-related gear:
    - M-Audio AudioBuddy
    - Shure SM-57
    - Cubase LE4
    - SoundBlaster X-Fi (with the breakout box)
    - Logitech 2.1 computer speakers
    - my Marshall DSL 201 has Speaker Emulated D.I. Out

What I want to accomplish:
    - be able to record myself for learning purposes
    - getting reasonably good recorded sound without spending $$$ for a full blown home recording studio
    - do most of it on the computer and learn how to use Cubase in the process
    - and not have to mic it if possible (frustrating setup process + poor room acoustics)
    - I plan to record in the following styles: 80's hard rock / 80's metal / neoclassical metal / melodic power metal

Gear / Interfaces I have been considering:
    - Amplitube Metal
    - Guitar Rig 3 Kontrol Edition
    - POD X3
    - Axe Fx Ultra

For the first 3 (Amplitube / Guitar Rig 3 / POD X3), there are a lot of conflicting reviews on the net. Some people love them, some hate them. Pro: can get started right away, relatively cheap. Con: sound quality might be overly "digital".

As for Axe Fx... most expensive option on my list, but if its modeling is as good as ppl say it is, and is good for recording as well... I might just bite the bullet and order one.

But if I go with the Axe Fx, I would still need a separate interface between it and the computer right?

So... what do you guys think? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

- Leo.

For computer software, you might want to check out the acoustica.com stuff. I've used it a lot and really like it. I also like the Zoom all-in-one recorders.
    My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Comment

Personally, I've never used computer based recording/sequencer software. I've always owned an all in one recorder/editor, a Roland VS1880.
      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

check out a line 6 toneport , i have one and its great for my recordings . i havent tried it with drums but it handles vocals, guitar and bass perfectly
        Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
        Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

Cubase LE4 - I also have this and have had a hard time getting good results from it.
          Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

"But if I go with the Axe Fx, I would still need a separate interface between it and the computer right?"

You should be able to go digital (spdif) straight from the AxeFX to the Soundblaster.
            750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
            Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Originally posted by Super_shredder View Post
              check out a line 6 toneport , i have one and its great for my recordings . i havent tried it with drums but it handles vocals, guitar and bass perfectly
              I believe the TonePort line became the current GX/UX line of products. I was looking at the UX2 vs the POD X3 for recording purposes.

Anyone have/had one of these at the same time? How do they compare to each other for recording purposes?

- Leo.

Comment

Originally posted by Jayster View Post
                Cubase LE4 - I also have this and have had a hard time getting good results from it.
                I tried my hand at recording maybe 5 or 6 years ago with the Audio Buddy + Mic into Cubase LE1. Wasn't able to get good results, but that was because I didn't do my research, and didn't really know how to use the program.

Very likely I'll get this tutorial DVD for Cubase LE4: http://kellysmusic.ca/productinfo~id~1152280020.htm

Anybody seen it? Does it regurgitate what's in the documentations that come with the software? Or is it truly valuable?

- Leo.

Comment

Originally posted by nor View Post
                  "But if I go with the Axe Fx, I would still need a separate interface between it and the computer right?"

You should be able to go digital (spdif) straight from the AxeFX to the Soundblaster.
                  Hi Nor, just checked, I actually have the SoundBlaster X-Fi Elite Pro:
                  http://www.soundblaster.com/products...=14064&listby=

The I/Os available on the breakout box:
                  - SPDIF in and out
                  - Optical in and out
                  - MIDI in and out
                  - and a "DIN"

So if I do go with an Axe Fx Ultra... I would connect it to the "SPDIF in" right?

Just curious, what sort of things could be connected to the optical I/O?

- Leo.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Chang View Post
                    Very likely I'll get this tutorial DVD for Cubase LE4: http://kellysmusic.ca/productinfo~id~1152280020.htm

Anybody seen it? Does it regurgitate what's in the documentations that come with the software? Or is it truly valuable?

- Leo.
                    I have had that video for well over a year, its still difficult to get good results.
                    Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

Originally posted by Jayster View Post
                      I have had that video for well over a year, its still difficult to get good results.
                      So... not a good video?

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Chang View Post
                        Hi Nor, just checked, I actually have the SoundBlaster X-Fi Elite Pro:
                        http://www.soundblaster.com/products...=14064&listby=

The I/Os available on the breakout box:
                        - SPDIF in and out
                        - Optical in and out
                        - MIDI in and out
                        - and a "DIN"

So if I do go with an Axe Fx Ultra... I would connect it to the "SPDIF in" right?

Just curious, what sort of things could be connected to the optical I/O?

- Leo.
                        You got it right on the coaxial SPDIF Leo. As far as the optical, it's most likely SPDIF as well. Could connect a DAT or MiniDisk unit (among others).
                        Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Comment

I have a Toneport UX1, which is the little brother to the UX2. It has been very user friendly, and I can get pretty decent recorded sound from it while using Audacity to record with.

Comment

I just stmbled across this: http://centrance.com/products/ap/

Has anybody tried it?

- Leo

Comment

Horribly overpriced doo-dad. For the same ching, you can get a Line 6 POD Studio UX1.

Comment

Working...
                              X