I covered an eighties classic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
    I have always played guitar to prove a point and make a statement. I don't play for the fun of it. I don't enjoy playing unless the band I am in is perfect.
    IMO then you're playing for the entire wrong reasons. Perfection is nothing more than an illusion, it can never be achieved unless redefined somehow. And even though that is your choice, it isn't always others, so ease off of them.

I know how to push your buttons and you know how to push mine.
    Yes, but in the end it isn't about you or me, it's about making another member here, a fellow musician, discouraged enough to yank his clip because a select few here decided to rag on him in quite an immature way.

It might help ease the tension between us as long as you can put up with mediocre songs and bland guitar solo's. Here is a little bit of trivia.. its actually harder to write and play bland guitar solo's than to play the meedly meedly meedly ones.
    I never said that shit. I stayed away from that comment since I have no desire to suddenly become a hypocrite. I don't feel the need to put anyone down musically and try to only offer advice on improvement if asked for.

And yes, last time we had this discussion you told me you think my playing was a little too "meedly meedly", I remember, and that's fine and all, I play what I feel fits the song, FOR the song, and not ever to impress another guitar player, yes I make mistakes sure, been playing 29 years now and those aren't going to stop, sometimes they make for cool "accidents" that end up being keepers.

Point is, I have thick skin and can take it, but some of the younger folks, well that just won't work for them, they need to be encouraged not made fun of.

Comment

Just out of curiousity, how old are you JG? Don't you think that since you have so much experience you could be a real benefit to this forum by offering CONSTRUCTIVE criticism rather than putting people down outright? I dunno... If I feel that I have more experience or knowledge than someone else in a certain area of expertise I try to help them.

Comment

"I hear the secrets that you keep, when you're talking in your sleep..."

Comment

Originally posted by Blazer View Post
          "I hear the secrets that you keep, when you're talking in your sleep..."

Blaze, the song is starting to grow on me.... NOT.....

Check your PM bro. JG

Comment

Evol.. are you a hippie?, because you certainly type like one.
            What's that supposed to mean ya bastid? Let's get one thing straight - I'm the hippie here and he's no fucking hippie.

Do you see the irony of you making fun of "gay songs" and admit to playing on Carribean Queen?

Seriously John, do we not all share the same dream? Do we not all lose our cool when she steps in the room? What of our electric eyes that cannot be ignored? Can you open your heart to Blazer's so that they may beat as one?
            I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
              What's that supposed to mean ya bastid? Let's get one thing straight - I'm the hippie here and he's no fucking hippie.

Do you see the irony of you making fun of "gay songs" and admit to playing on Carribean Queen?

Seriously John, do we not all share the same dream? Do we not all lose our cool when she steps in the room? What of our electric eyes that cannot be ignored? Can you open your heart to Blazer's so that they may beat as one?
              When I typed Hippie and reread it I realized how I had spelled it. I was gonna correct the spelling but I figured I was in deep enough shit already.
              Regarding Carribean Queen.... you got me on that one. That wasn't nearly the gayest song I ever played on though. Because of that stint recording literally 20-30 lead guitar tracks on disco songs at Power Play Studios it almost cost me my entire metal career. Nobody took me seriously for almost 3 years. I was known as Disco Johnny. I looked metal... I felt metal.. but I recorded candy ass guitar tracks for disco and top 40 acts. Thus, my reactions to the bashing I got on this thread. I deserve every bit of it. Keep in mind.. this was at a time when there was no internet, no cell phones, ring tones, CD's etc.. just cassettes. Its really important to protect your reputation in the music business and if you post questionable material online it can really come back and bite you in the ass hard.

Comment

How in the flyin' fuck did I miss all this? :think: I've been kinda busy at home lately..still am really.

Hey, I remeber Joihn mentioned that he was on some Billy Ocean song. So with the majic of youtube, I discovered the guitar line..and song is pretty fuggin' memorable and a huge hit...with a bullet! With a huge bullet. I could have played the bass line in that song. In fact I think John and I should start a Billy Ocean tribute band. I'm selling out..fuck metal..I need the coin!

As far as Blazer's ongoing posting of 80's covers. I recall a Phil Collin song conveyed the same way. If any "constructive" critism MUST be made, and has . It's IS his vocal delivery. I understand that he is learning to record and that's cool. Something I never learned to do. But maybe he should get a freind that could actually carry a note do the vocals tracks...if anything. Or sing them cookie monster style like I'd do ..to keep the metal heart throbbing like an over-aroused pud in church!

Hey John G, you were jipped. You're not credited on Billy Oceans 1984 album. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suddenl...ly_Ocean_album). I know that's pretty common with actors while searchin' IMB.

1984 was a magical year for me. Van Halen broke up and then I met my wife. I spewed chum in my 501's on our first date while I was dry humpin' her in the back of my car..but I wasn't listening to Billy Ocean. I was prolly listening to Savatage's "Skull Session"..."X rated lesson...ahhhhhh ahhhhhhhhaaaaa...Skull Sesssssion..."

Very appropriate "love music" at that time. I was very romantic (pun). Check out these lyrics of love. Maybe Blazer could cover this 1984 romantic ditty.

Hungry for love tonight
                Taste me I'll taste you
                Servant of my delight
                Makes me goo

The look on your face
                Skull session
                X rated lesson
                Skull session
                Skull session

Sweet little virgin
                Love the way she talks to me
                Tied up she gets wild
                It's a sin

The look on your face
                Skull session
                X rated lesson
                Right

Hungry for love tonight
                Take all I can give to you
                Servant of my delight
                Makes me goo

The look on your face
                Skull session
                X rated lesson
                Skull session
                Skull session
                Skull session

I had that on cassette as my "Hot date Mix"..
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Yea, regarding Carribean Queen, I was a studio musician at Power Play Studio's in Queens, NY at the time. I laid down the track in between sessions. There was no singing on it at the time and I didn't know who Billy Ocean was. Technically.. I am pretty sure that Billy Ocean wasn't even there. It was just producers.
                  I got paid in studio time because I was writing and recording my own material.

Comment

and another thing.. it is possible that they sampled my guitar line. I didn't write the line. I just played what they told me to play. I recorded it directly into the console using a Shultz Rockman X100 and playing a Brad Gillis Strat.

Comment

John can you tell if any of those parts are yours. Only if you knew it at that at the time. I didn't recall the song title until I heard it...that's song was a huge hit....with a bullet.
                      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                        John can you tell if any of those parts are yours. Only if you knew it at that at the time. I didn't recall the song title until I heard it...that's song was a huge hit....with a bullet.
                        All the guitar licks during the song are mine. I parts I remember the most are the parts during the choruses.
                        I laid that entire track down in around 30 minutes. It was done in the automated console room which was the best one at the studio at the time.
                        At the time I recorded it I was working for Rosetone Records. Rosetone was owned by Rose Marselis who was Prince Marky D's mother. Prince Marky D was one of The Fat Boys. I did most of their guitar work.
                        Rose was very good friends with Brenda Reed (from The Exciters). There biggest hit was Tell Him. It was # 1 in the 60's and they opened up for The Beatles at Shea Stadium!! She was making a comeback and I was doing all her guitar work and co-writing and producing tracks for her. Her son was an incredible musician (he was 13 at the time). He went on to work directly under or even side by side Tommy Matola. He is a very famous music producer now. I had alot of music stuff going on at the time.

Comment

alright, if we are going to disuss gay 80s songs, we need to mention "Running with the night" by Lionel Richie. WHY? well, its as 80's gay cheese as you can get, but Steve Lukather put a pretty rippin solo on it. proved even gay 80's songs can have burnin solos.

wait a minute. does this make me gay?

this dont make me gay.....right guys? RIGHT?????

"clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Prince Marky D was one of The Fat Boys. I did most of their guitar work.
                            so that's your solo on Baby You're a Rich Man, from Disorderlies?
                            Hail yesterday

Comment

ArabLounge
                              Connecting Arabs Worldwide
                              Arab online Dating
                              Join Free Now!

Love the ads at the bottom of the threads now.

hehehe
                              "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                              --floydkramer

Comment

Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
                                alright, if we are going to disuss gay 80s songs, we need to mention "Running with the night" by Lionel Richie. WHY? well, its as 80's gay cheese as you can get, but Steve Lukather put a pretty rippin solo on it. proved even gay 80's songs can have burnin solos.

wait a minute. does this make me gay?

this dont make me gay.....right guys? RIGHT?????

I don't get it.

Lionel Ritchie has been with the most beautiful women over the years, WHAT ON EARTH MAKES HIM GAY?

"Talking in your sleep" by the Romantics has a music Video full of gorgeous women in lingery, WHAT ON EARTH MAKES THAT SONG GAY?

"Gay" as far as I know means either homosexual or Happy, Cheerful, like in the Flintstones tune "we'll have a gay old time."

Clarify this for me, I'm really confused with your reasoning here.

Comment

Working...
                                X